Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Five years ...

This popped up on my memories today. Five years ago, I remember it as if it were yesterday. In some ways it feels like 10 years ago, in other ways like yesterday.

Time does funny or strange things to your life I think when major or life impacting events occur. I am sure this year we are in now will have a similar impact for many people.

I am pleased to say the shave and the treatment that caused it was worth it.

If you have a memory pop up this week, feel free to share it too if you like.

Will chat later,

Lou 😊 xx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LouiseJ

Good evening Lou

I love your happy smile even whilst you are losing your hair and facing treatment for cancer. It is great to know that its was all worth it in the end.

I know exactly what you mean about time. I was diagnosed with an aggressive and inoperable prostate cancer in December 2016 and in some ways it seems so recent and in others so long ago. At the time, Mary and I decided to keep it quiet as it was so close to Christmas and we didn't want to spoil it for our families. In the end, we weren't able to fool anyone so we decided to come clean which was actually a relief and I felt much better when the news was out.

The intervening years have been mostly positive as my treatments have been more effective than anyone could have expected and I have met so many amazing people through MacMillan and LBW. There is no doubt that my life and expectations have changed. I have lost a couple of friendships but gained several more. There is a definite sense of 'before cancer' and 'after cancer' and though my life has changed, it is not for the worse.

I would like to mention that I had no symptoms prior to my cancer diagnosis and I urge all men of 50 or over to have a PSA blood test. It is worrying to hear that people have been reluctant to arrange health tests, or have have had difficulty in getting them during lockdown. These are difficult times and I am so pleased that we are able to chat and support one another in this community.

Rob xx