Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

World Mental Health Day

Today is World Mental Health Day.

Living with cancer whether it is us or a loved ones brings with it emotional, mental turmoil, and a myriad of feelings, thoughts, expectations.

During this tumultuous time including the Covid19 crisis, looking after our mental health is crucial. But it can feel overwhelming, maybe you don't know where to start or who to go to, to find support.

Thankfully finding help and support is more accessible these days and there is more understanding surrounding mental health awareness.

I have put a link below which may be helpful for others.

https://cancer.livebetterwith.com/blogs/cancer/top-3-tips-to-look-after-your-mental-health-during-the-coronavirus-crisis-from-karin-sieger-emotional-wellbeing-adv

Here in the community you will always find a listening ear and a friendly 'voice' for those times you just need to chat, vent, or simply express how you feel.

I think if there is one thing I could say which might help is don't suffer in silence thinking you are the only one who is struggling. You are not. You are not alone. Of course I would suggest you seek professional medical/counselling help if you can.

Thinking of you all,

Chat soon,

Lou xx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,244 mod

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

I agree with everything you said.

Luckily It is really noticeable how much better mental health is recognised and understood these days. I think it has helped that celebrities and sports men and women have put their hands up and told of their struggles with mental health issues. I feel sure that it must help to break down the stigma which is often attached to depression, anxiety and other related conditions and perhaps inspire people to seek treatment.

Former footballer and Strictly star Alex Scott who has suffered distressing and unfair online trolling and abuse recently called on people not to struggle alone and to seek help. Former cricketer and TV personality Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff recently featured in a fascinating and illuminating BBC One documentary talking with humility about his 20 year secret battle with bulimia.

Being a member of this community has made a big difference to me. Knowing that other people struggling with cancer and it’s after effects often feel the same pressures and stresses helped me to realise that I am not weak and that people who judged me did so through a lack of understanding.

Learning to accept your condition and recognize what you need to do to treat it, seeking support, and helping others is the key to finding the way through.

Rob xx