Home› Cancer Expert Q&A Hub› Cancer Coffee Break

Are you finding any return to normality yet?

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good evening everyone,

I do hope you are having a good week so far. I know, it is only Tuesday, anything could happen! 😄.

Last week I actually returned to the swimming pool! Finally, I am back in the water. I have been able to book in for three times a week at the moment. Probably not a bad idea seeing as it is sooooo long since I have been!

It felt great, the management have got it all set up well in relation to covid precautions. Half numbers allowed, space in between people enforced, limited time in the water.

Today I met someone there, who I haven't seen for a very long time. Turns out his wife was diagnosed with bowel cancer last summer. Thankfully it was found as a result of a routine bowel test. She is doing well, and even returning to work part-time. He is just returning to swimming too, there are so many still not going though.

I am going again tomorrow morning, I think it may take a while to see some improvement! 😄

Anyone else finding they are able to resume activities lately? Obviously it could all change in a moment again, which will not be good. But we will see.

It would be good to hear about what others have been able to do in these days.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,228 mod

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

I am delighted to hear that you are swimming again. I know how much you have missed it and you will be swimming like a fish before you know it.

It is good to hear that your friend’s wife is doing well following her diagnosis for bowel cancer. It just shows how important it is to have routine medical tests when you get the chance. I had no symptoms prior to my cancer diagnosis and I am constantly boring my friends with the need to visit their doctors for routine checks.

I am delighted to report that MacMillan are open again subject to the usual precautions, but the day centre at Hospice will remain closed for the foreseeable future. Mary really misses the patients and it is sad that the virus has deprived them of a day of good company, tea and cakes.

We would love to get off the Island and visit family in England but we are not ready to step on a plane yet and we would have to self isolate on our return home. We are lucky though because bars and restaurants are open here and life is fairly normal.

Chat soon.

Rob x x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 715 mod

@RobertA

Good morning Rob,

I hope you are having a good week, they still fly by even in lockdown life!

It is good to hear McMillan have been able to open up again and people can access their services when needed. Although it is sad that the hospice is closed, understandable of course, but I am sure the day centre and the company that provided will be missed by many.

Things are tightening up here again, unsurprisingly given summer antics by many!

I am going swimming again this afternoon, I think I won't have to drive but just step outside and let the wind carry me, it is so stormy here today!

Have a great day,

Chat later,

Lou xx