Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Christmas Coping Tips

***Giveaway is now closed - but this thread is packed full of helpful tips so we've kept it open!

We're giving away a free Christmas stocking full of our favourite side-effect-busting gifts, worth over £49.99!
(https://livebetterwith.com/search/?q=stocking Click here to see what's included - there's so much packed in there!)

To enter, simply scroll down and write your top tip for coping at Christmas with cancer.

We'll be picking a winner at random on Monday 17th December. Good luck!

Comments

• vain_janevain_jane Posts: 1
    Frozen mini pineapple juice ice cubes for mouth ulcers and taste - worked wonders for my sister x
  • judejude Posts: 1
    Just go with the flow, don’t be a people pleaser and do only what you feel like doing x
  • Keep it simple and ask others to help they want to help you so give them the opportunity as tiredness can take over x
  • wolfgirlwolfgirl Posts: 1
    I know it's important to eat well, but I often get some good quality instant meals from M & S and freeze them - just in case I am really busy. Happy Christmas everyone.
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @phoenix15, Fabulous!    :) 

x
  • SheridanSheridan Posts: 1
    Be kind to yourself and rest when needed and accept help from others - they will be happy to give it - and it will make all of you more content. 
  • Raemondo1Raemondo1 Posts: 1
    I’m not sure I am coping particularly well due to the side effects of being on weekly chemo for several months now for metastatic breast cancer. However, I try to take a few minutes each day to remind myself of how fortunate I am to still be here and blessed to be able to celebrate Xmas with my loved ones - in particular, my beautiful daughter ❤️
  • Kasia75Kasia75 Posts: 1
    I started my treatment just before Christmas last year, I was fine for few days so I was thinking " well not that bad as I was thinking". Unfortunately side effects hit me just in the middle of Christmas eve supper (I'm polish so we celebrate Christmas eve too). Very next day I was so weak, I couldn't walk, didn't feel any food taste and been in so much muscle and joints pain. But I was surrounded with my family, and that was the most important, not pain or any of side effects, only smiles on kids faces and feeling loved and supported. Wish all of you happy Christmas, keep strong :) xxx
  • ss123ss123 Posts: 1
    Enjoy the lead up to Christmas.....take in the smells, listen to Xmas songs and decorate your home so you smile everyday. On the day enjoy with family and remember the true meaning of Christmas.....
  • Don't push yourself - take it nice and easy and relax plenty. 
  • ElizaEliza Posts: 1
    Don’t feel guilty! Shop on line - decorate less - buy ready prepared food from places like Cook and accept that not every Christmas has to be all bells and whistles. Use the change to make some different traditions and most importantly make some time to enjoy a post lunch nap! 
  • MagsrubyMagsruby Posts: 3
    Accept all offers of help , even if it's just walking the dog ! Listen to your body , be kind to yourself ..look forwards that's the way you are going ! 😂 
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure there will be loads more, but just wanted to say, I have been so moved by reading all of these lovely, helpful comments. What comes across to me, is bravery, courage , strength and the knowing that it isn't the 'stuff' and 'doing'  that is important, but time, family, friends, making precious memories, cherishing what we do have. Thank you. :) 

Lou x
  • SusanSusan Posts: 1
    Just do what you can. If you find that you cannot do something don't hesitate to say that you don't feel up to doing it.  Your first priority is your health.
  • debs71debs71 Posts: 1
    phoenix15 said:
    Cancer can take a hike for one day this Christmas! I'm putting on my best wig, my red high heeled shoes and a wide smile. Close family, laughter, sprouts and a drop of Bailey's is what my Doctor orders  :) Wishing everyone love and peace this Christmas  <3
    It’s great to read a positive message because cancer just wants to take away the smiles and joy of life.
    This is the time of year where everyone effected by this horrid disease deserves some happiness and peace.
    Thanks for your inspirational message. I’ll have to dig out my high heels too!
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @debs71

Hi Debs, nice to hear from you. Go get those heels on and have a great Christmas. 

Rob x
  • FlossyFlossy Posts: 1
    Make every day special. Lots of nice hot baths, plenty of rest, chocolates and candles.........whatever are your favourite things. Just go with the flow. Treat yourself like a princess..... You deserve it!!!! 
  • KallvikKallvik Posts: 2
    Alcohol free wine.  Then no problems but you feel like part of the celebrations
  • NickyharNickyhar Posts: 1
    Get Up Dress Up & Show Up .. it’s not easy but you feel better for it 💕... hang in there folks 💕
  • HelenaHelena Posts: 1
    Live life, laugh and be around loving people at Christmas and throughout the new year.  Remember life is a journey with or without cancer and we must embrace the good and bad days because we are alive. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to one and all 🙏🏽💖
  • Val6Val6 Posts: 2
    Prayer and Positive attitude 
    some essential oils. 
    I have had Breast Cancer 3 years ago and this year Cervical Cancer. All the treatments and going to all these doctors appointment and people always touching and looking there is no modesty left and it does get really hard. 
  • BobBob Posts: 1
    Looking forward to next Christmas 
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Val6
    i agree. Modesty does go out of the window - for men too sometimes. 😁 You never really get used to it and you have been particularly unlucky. I am sure it will be worth it in the end and I wish you a very peaceful Christmas. 
    Rob X 
  • LindaLinda Posts: 9
    I was going through chemo last christmas and couldn't join in a lot of the festivity, so am looking forward to this christmas.. Hope you all have a good time and next year is even better for you. Take it easy everyone.
    Enjoy all of your celebrations @Linda, hopefully putting last Christmas behind you, looking forwards not back.

A very Happy Christmas to you too.

Lou x
    I so understand how you feel @Val6
    I was never able to get over the embarrassment of having to strip off. I was embarrassed every single time. I know everyone says that drs have seen it all before etc, but it's still hard. I hope all your treatment is successful and may I wish you a joyful, peaceful Christmas. 

Lou x
  • IyaIya Posts: 2
    Christmas music has always been a huge part of the holidays since I was a young child. My mother and I would put on Christmas albums and sing at the top of our lungs (much to the dismay of other family members). 
    After being diagnosed with cancer, driving to treatments listening and singing along with all my holiday favorites made getting to treatments something to look forward to every day.
     Sadly this Christmas will be my 99 year old Mother’s last. Every chance possible we hold hands and sing our favorite songs. They calm her and put a big smile on both our faces. Memories I will always hold dearly in my heart. 
    Cancer doesn’t have to rob you of happiness and things you enjoy. As my beloved father who passed two years ago at the age of 100 used to say when challenges came our way; “this too shall pass”. Advise I’ve never forgotten, especially during times of overwhelming challenges, like cancer. 
    So, keep a song in your heart, sing it at the top of your lungs and remember the hard times shall pass. 
    Happy Holidays!  
  • Val6Val6 Posts: 2
    Thank you Lou. Sunshinedaff
     Merry Christmas to you and take care. 
  • Hazel26Hazel26 Posts: 1
    Both my husband and myself have cancer, Christmas will be the same as always as family are brilliant and we will enjoy every minute as no hospital appointments xxx
This discussion has been closed.