Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Diagnosis & Appointments

Another year, another check-up...

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning everyone,

At the end of last week I had my yearly check up with the breast care team.

I met with my doctor, who was the person to give me my diagnosis almost five years ago. I have met with him on many occasions since then.

It is always good to catch up with him, and he is always attentive, and listens carefully to anything I say.

Normally at this point he said I would be discharged completely, and going forward should anything arise I would see the GP and get a referral. However, I am still on the books. I have had a ? over symptoms, which have proved groundless, and we are going through genetic investigations etc, which he has instigated on my behalf, given our family history. So I will see him again next year, he has arranged another mammogram for October, and will arrange my dexa scan for next year.

I came away feeling very well looked after, I have always had excellent care from all my medical team. They are always positive and wanting the best for me to live well.

It was a good day, and parking was so easy, haha, that always helps! 😀

I do hope that if you have any of these appointments coming up they go smoothly for you too.

Chat soon,

Lou x😊

Tagged:

Comments

• VivViv Posts: 21 ✭✭

Its so hard the stress before is just awful if changes your personality I think my treatment HER2 positive over expression Has finished 4 weeks ago the herceptrin is now only given for 6 months in the UK.

its a dreadful feeling my oncologist has taken me off her books and I have had no further contact with any one feels like I have been forgotten I know that in most Cancer is well supported I have not been I have only spoken once with a breast nurse and she told me I had a very nasty cancer that Will come back in my body

im so glad that you have had good experiences it makes like so much better and it’s good to hear that most people are looked after

viv xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Viv

I am really sorry to hear you feel un-supported, I read somewhere else you were in the IOW? I am only along the way in Dorset. I thought you were having a follow-up in 6 months with the oncologist?

🤗

Lou xx

• VivViv Posts: 21 ✭✭

I had a MRI after my breast CA was found and firstly they

discovered that I had kidney CA unrelated to my breast and

very low grade they also found some thing on my liver which was

was to small for them to comment on apparently.

kidney removed and as a goodbye present from my oncologist she

allowed me to have another MRI on my liver so that I would not get

stressed over it.

The phone call is to tell me the results which would be 5 months now I’m lucky that my GP will tell me the results which was that its a cyst and not CA could not wait all that time for the out come I think I would of end up in mental health care.

so that is the only reason she is ringing me.

kidney had not spread and was very low grade so the MRI saved my life really the urology are very good and I will have an appointment every six months.

it all takes a bit of getting used to and the fatigue is pretty awful so it’s just a bit hard but we get through this do t we as time goes by the stress gets better.

viv xxx thank you for your reply