Living with Cancer at Christmas

hessomhessom Posts: 114 Community Admin
edited December 2018 in Living Better With Cancer
With Christmas fast approaching, we often find ourselves in a reflective mood. Whilst Christmas is a happy time for many, we know that for some it can be difficult, particularly if you’re living with cancer. A period of the year reserved for seeing friends and family, eating too much and attending the occasional party, Christmas is both wonderful and complicated with cancer.
We hope the Community can provide support for those that need it at this time of the year and can also be a place to celebrate and appreciate the close of the year.
What’s on your mind this Christmas?
Tagged:

Comments

• I just try and focus on celebrating the small wins, enjoying spending time with my loved ones and not taking anything for granted. It's hard sometimes but it's the way I get through times like this. Would love to hear what others think!  :)
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 426 mod
    @funflirtyfaband50

I like what you say about celebrating the small wins. It's the little good things that take on more significance. Just being together with family, enjoying each day. 

Lou x
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, Christmas has always been a special time of celebration, for remembering my happy childhood with my parents and sisters, and later with my wife and family sharing laughter and memories.  There are just the two of us here in Jersey now, and we will have a quiet and indulgent day, enjoying each other’s company, eating, drinking, reminiscing, phoning and  face timing  family around the world.

We know that 2019 will bring challenges and difficulties but we will put that to one side and live for the day. Cancer has taught us to relish the time we have and not to waste any. 

People who are having chemo will probably have problems with eating and drinking, including taste and feeling sick.  Having visitors or visiting others yourself can be very tiring too, but I have learned from past experience at parties or when entertaining to simply be honest and say so. Friends and family have always understood and taken the strain. 

Rob 

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always loved Christmas and everything associated with the festive season. As a child it would often not really begin until we had finished school, the tree only going up a few days before the big day. As I got older, left home, I began to start on December 1, usually with a competition with another Christmas-mad friend to see who got started first. Good fun.

When cancer arrived so uninvited, threatening to bring chaos, and despair, when the Christmas season was approaching we thought of possibly postponing celebrations etc, unsure of how I was going to react to chemo and facing an uncertain future. But then we decided to just start even earlier!! Yay! Following the lead of those in the USA, we adopted Thanksgiving, and straight after, Christmas began. I took it real slow, some days I could do things, other days I was under a blanket, all I could do was watch tv. I set up Santa's workshop and had lots of elves to help :)   Now, this has become a new tradition for us. To celebrate each day leading up to Christmas, finding something to rejoice over is the priority, being thankful for the little things as well as the bigger things in life. 

I am so looking forward to spending time with my family, have one daughter returning from Uni, so even more to celebrate, as we have all missed her so very much. 

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love to you all

Rob X 
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 426 mod
    @RobertA

Love this Rob, thank you.

Lou x