Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

How to celebrate the end of chemo?

hessomhessom Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

The ceremonial bell-ringing to mark the end of chemotherapy is now well recognised amongst cancer patients and ex-patients and has even made its way into popular culture.

But we often also hear that it can be a bittersweet moment, as the treatment stops and patients await news from their doctor.

How did you celebrate the end of your chemo sessions? Or how do you intend to celebrate? Or did you find it hard to celebrate?

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hessom said:

The ceremonial bell-ringing to mark the end of chemotherapy is now well recognised amongst cancer patients and ex-patients and has even made its way into popular culture.

But we often also hear that it can be a bittersweet moment, as the treatment stops and patients await news from their doctor.

How did you celebrate the end of your chemo sessions? Or how do you intend to celebrate? Or did you find it hard to celebrate?

I remember having mixed emotions when I reached the end of chemo. 
    Obviously, being glad I got through all of it, relatively unscathed, it could have been worse. 
    There wasn't a bell to ring at the end of chemo, but we did celebrate by taking dozens of cakes with us to share with everyone else. 
    Chemo was the first part of my cancer treatment, the next step would be surgery, and I remember thinking as I walked out of the chemo suite, 'oh, this is it, I'm not coming back here', and I felt sad (!?!). I had got to know all the nurses really well, even other cancer patients who had their chemo at the same time as me, familiar faces that I may not see again.

As it happens I have been back several times when seeing my oncologist, it's been great to see the nurses again who are still there.

Lou x
  • bullcowbullcow Posts: 7
    My husband had surgery then chemo. Yesterday (12/14/2018) he rang the bell! We are having a special dinner tonight. We will celebrate again once the effects of chemo wear off. 
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bullcow said:
    My husband had surgery then chemo. Yesterday (12/14/2018) he rang the bell! We are having a special dinner tonight. We will celebrate again once the effects of chemo wear off. 
    That is wonderful news. Enjoy your celebrations, especially so close to Christmas. I hope your husband has a good recovery, and you are able to look forward with hope. 

Lou x