Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Webinars, Events & Live Better With Updates

Join our menopause Q&A with a menopause nurse practitioner

Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hello everyone,

Hope you're doing well and staying safe.

I appreciate the below information might not be useful for each and every one of you, but if you'd like to join in, you're more than welcome to.❤️

Please do let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Blanka x

Join our Menopause Q&A with a menopause nurse practitioner

To answer some of your questions and shed some light on the menopause, we are organising a live Q&A session with menopause nurse practitioner Diane Porterfield-Bourne.

Diane is one of our residents experts for our Menopause Community and is the founder of Bourne2Care. She has her own private menopause clinic where she prescribes HRT, and has helped other professionals deliver menopause education around the UK, giving menopause awareness talks to many organisations.

During the Q&A, we will be covering a range of topics, including:

✅ The stages and common symptoms of the menopause

✅ Anxiety, mood changes and feeling stressed

✅ HRT - facts, risks and benefits

✅ Lifestyle choices to live better with the menopause

You will have the opportunity to listen in and ask questions live, using the chat function - don’t worry, you won’t need to use your camera or mic. 😏

Date and time: 6pm - 6.30pm BST, Friday 26th June

Where: Zoom

How to join: Simply click on the following link at 6pm on the day: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84236189200

Hope to see you there! 👋

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 762 mod

@Blanka_C , @RobertA , @Bethbee, @PositiveLady10 , @Viv , @Norab , @KitKat , @Newshoes123 , @AnneMarie , @Nixster , @Jojodot , @MrBumpsMum ,

Good morning everyone,

Thanks Blanka for this, I think a lot of us go through menopausal symptoms when going through cancer treatment and taking medication.

I know I did, the chemotherapy put me into the menopause, I didn't come out of it. Then when I started medication to prevent further breast cancer I began to experience more symptoms!

Anyone who has been through breast cancer treatment and taking medication may be experiencing the same as me. I also remember Rob talking about the treatment he has for prostate cancer and the similar side effects he has experienced. So I don't think it is necessarily just women suffering from these symptoms.

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer last summer, she has just finished radiotherapy, and has started on medication. She was telling me how the menopausal symptoms were returning, even though she had been through it already! Definitely a reaction from the medication.

This is great to have Diane available to our community also, it helps to just find out that what we may be experiencing isn't uniquely just us, but a cause of something else and hopefully get some tips of how to cope with them.

I have tagged a few friends, Catherine, Lorna, Barbara, Esme, Nikki, Beth, Annemarie, Nora, Vicky, Viv, knowing some of your stories, in case this might be helpful for you. Of course I may have inadvertently omitted someone, you are all welcome to tune in.

Hope to chat with you soon,

Lou xx

• NixsterNixster Posts: 28 ✭✭

@ LouiseJ

thank you for sharing this information with us all. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe

I just finished radiation 2 weeks ago

With my Oncho DX score the Tamoxifen was only going to help me by 3 percent. I chose not to take the pill due to this low percentage rate and its side effects of Menopausal symptoms.

I am curious for women that have had radiation treatments for breast cancer, how long they remain sore and achy?

I was told to cover myself up to my neck anytime I am in sun for rest of summer and to use sun block on that area when my upper chest is exposed for the rest of my life. Does that sound correct?

hope you have a great day

hugs!

Nikki

• KitKatKitKat Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

@Blanka_C @RobertA @ louiseJ @Viv @Norab @Newshoes123 @AnneMarie @Nixster @MrBumpsMum @Jojodot @Jojodot

Hello hope you are both keeping well.

So I finished my 15 radiotherapy treatments 6 weeks ago with no side effects. No changes to skin and minimal fatigue. I'm still going to London every 3 weeks for my infusions - 8 more to go.

I sat in the garden today and thought to myself " you've come through this Catherine - chemo, surgery, radiotherapy. 8 infusions to go and on letrazole until told to stop. Slight hiccup with a month in hospital with sepsis.

But I'm here and I'm still smiling. can't believe how well I feel - the past year has flown by.

I'm still smazed that I've bounced back again!!

I've now got hair but do resemble Boris Johnson!!!

No more cancers please. Four is enough ha ha.

Love

Catherine x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KitKat

Hi Catherine

It is so lovely to hear from you.

Fantastic news to hear how well you are doing. I am so pleased for you.

After everything you have been through with the ups and downs, you have made it through. Incredible how much has changed over the last year for you. You have indeed come through it!

I sincerely hope you continue to have a good recovery, I am so glad you are coping with the Letrozole too, that is good news.

It is so good to hear you are smiling and beginning to enjoy life once more. I hope you have managed to spend some time with Splash, especially during this lockdown period we have going through.

Haha, yes, well Boris does need a haircut, you however can enjoy your new hair for as long as you like!! 😂. Mark just did mine in the garden the other day. 😂.

Sending you huge hugs, and very best wishes.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Nixster

Hi Nikki,

It is lovely to hear from you, I didn't realise you had been going through radiotherapy. I hope that has gone ok for you and your skin is coping. How are you feeling? I know the RT keeps working in the body for a while after your last treatment. My sister has just finished hers too.

Yes it does sound correct to me. Definitely to keep covered up in sunshine, and any other skin exposure to use factor 30 or above.

The soreness can take a while to dissipate. The skin by my neck suffered more than the breast area, I had to get some antibiotic cream from the radiographers. But four years later I still have a radiotherapy tan, it's a large square area! Lol!

I found I have a tendency to pick up the sun more since having chemo and RT. So I have to take extra care.

How are you feeling fatigue-wise? Shattered?

It is great you have finished treatment, I hope you find recovery from it all goes well. It's a day by day thing I find.

Has life returned to 'normal' with you in your state where lockdown is concerned? I hope you and your family have managed to steer clear from the virus.

Lovely to see you here!

How is the garden going?

Chat soon

Lou xx🤗🤗

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Blanka_C

Good evening everyone,

Thanks @LouiseJ Lou for mentioning the menopausal type side effects men often experience during treatment for advanced prostate cancer. Hormone therapy for prostate cancer is also known as androgen deprivation therapy (ADT). Prostate cancer cannot grow or survive without androgens, which include testosterone and other male hormones. The therapy decreases the amount of androgens in a man's body. A number of the side effects of this treatment appear to be similar to those experienced by women going through the menopause. I have personally had to contend with the following.

• hot flashes/flushes.
    • decreased libido
    • anxiety and mood changes
    • osteoporosis
    • weight gain.

I would love to join the live Q & A but we are moving house tomorrow and I am not even sure I will have access to WiFi which is a shame.

I would be really interested to know if Diane does receive enquiries from men. I do hope so as I am sure that her knowledge and expertise will be of benefit to us chaps too.

Rob x

@Sunshinedaff

Hello Lou xx

thank you for responding about the RT. and explaining your experiences. I hope you are safe and well?

I did have blisters on my breast and chest along with a dime size sore from the last 5 “radiation blast treatments” from where tumor was removed. I was prescribed a silvedine cream to heal the blisters and burn area. I now have light pink spots all over my chest where the blisters have healed.

I am having aching in my chest area and under my arm where my lymph nodes were removed. The incision In my under arm had healed from surgery but after the RT the incision has felt raw again. I think because of the area it is in, the rubbing and movement, it will take longer.

I have days that I have energy and days that I feel fatigue. Like you say, it is day by day.

Illinois just recently opened up at 50 percent Occupancy for restaurants and bars inside. Weeks before we only had outdoor seating and drive through services available. We are all still wearing masks

how are things going where you are?

I have been well and safe, thank you. Personally, I have still been staying mostly at home to stay safe due to my lowered immune system and visiting friends via zoom meetings and FaceTime.

My garden is in full bloom and I have taken up bird watching during the shut down. I set up feeders outside my window and have been taking photos of the birds and my flowers.

How is your gardening going? Have you been painting much?

take care my friend.

hugs

Nikki 🤗🤗

@Blanka_C

Good evening all,

I'm not sure if anyone else managed to tune in. I did, it was very interesting and certainly helpful if suffering from menopausal symptoms as a result of cancer treatment.

There are links you can click on, it was also live on the FB page too.

Thanks so much to Diane and Tamara for their time putting it together.

Lou x

@KitKat

Good afternoon Catherine,

How lovely to hear from you, and what good news.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to know that you are so well and still smiling too. Haha, hair like Boris -at lest it sounds as if it is growing well.

After everything you have been through, you really deserve some good health and good times. I hope that you have a lovely carefree Summer with Splash, not forgetting Kes and your gorgeous Maine Coon cat.

Take good care.

Rob xx

@Nixster

Hi Nikki

I am so pleased to hear that you have finished your treatment. I know that is not the end of the side effects and discomfort and tiredness which are so common sadly.

Your photographs are lovely - what a great idea to take up bird watching during the lockdown. Perhaps you will keep that going and become an expert.

Rob x

@KitKat

Catherine,

thank you for sharing your hope with us. I thank God you are able to bounce back after all you have been through.

I am glad you are able to enjoy your time now and feel good with minimal fatigue. Enjoy each day!

I am glad your hair is growing back. ... even if it’s looking like Boris 😘

keep smiling my dear

Hugs,

Nikki

@RobertA

Rob,

Thank you for sharing, that men too, share the same effects from cancer hormone therapy. I think it’s important for men to know that they are not alone in feeling these side effects; the same as with women.

I pray your side effects lessen as treatment goes on. 🙏 have you tried a diluted lavender oil for your anxiety? (15-20 drops pure lavender oil and Fractionated coconut oil. You can put in a roller ball applicator and use on your wrists, bottom of your feet) it helps with my anxiety!

Thank you on my photos! I do Photography of people as a hobby but due to lockdown and lowered immune system, I have been taking photos of the birds and my flowers in my garden.

I feel that bird watching and gardening takes my mind off of other things going on.

🤗 Hugs,

Nikki

@Nixster

Good morning Nikki,

Sorry it's taken me a day or two to reply, I hope you are having a good weekend.

In answer to your post regarding the pain etc from RT and surgery, I have found I still have pain in my armpit and across the whole surgery site. I often get very sharp pains that take my breath away, plus pins and needle's type pain even though a lot of the area is also numb! I have mentioned it on numerous occasions to my oncologist and surgeon, who both reassure me there is nothing untoward going on, and is 'normal'.

Hopefully now you have finished RT, the area can heal better. The fatigue related to RT can continue for some while after your last zap.

I love your plants and bird feeder, the photography is brilliant. You can join in with the gardening thread and post pics etc of your garden. Jackie @jacksprat_x1 , has also started a photography thread where you can post pics of anything!

My garden is coming along great guns. I have already harvested several strawberries, and made my first jam of the year. This week I have picked the blackcurrants and will make jam with those. For the first time I have several types of crop growing and using the greenhouse properly! Lol!

I have finished my latest painting, I put a pic up on the Creative thread if you want to see. I have done two now, Van Goghs Sunflowers and a dolphin one.

It is lovely to hear from you, I love that I am able to meet people from across the world like yourself, just by being here. Such s blessing!

Have a great day,

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Good afternoon! I feel blessed to be a part of this group and to be able to talk with you and others about what is going on with our cancer treatments

thank you for explaining to me about your side effect from RT abs surgery and Reassuring me that it is all normal Have you completed RT?

I did finish RT June 9th thank you! My RT doctor said the sharp pains were from the nerves reconnecting Themselves

I am glad to hear you are still painting! I am not sure how to get to the creative thread but I will definitely look for it so I can see your paintings and share some of my photos

it is nice to hear that you are able to harvest from your garden! It is lovely that you are able to make jam from your own garden!! I have strawberries planted, along with a couple other vegetables but have not had any produce as of yet. I am anxiously awaiting!

Are things opened up in your area due to virus?

Have a great day and take care

Hugs, Nikki