Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Photo Club

jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

There have been so many beautiful photos shared. I thought it might be nice to have a place where we can share photos that we like in a different place to those in our discussions.

I will start if off!

Jackie 🙋‍♀️

River Deben, Felixstowe, Suffolk

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie,

This is a brilliant idea, I will lookout my sunset pics to post. I will probably still post relevant pics in the other discussions though too. Haha! 😊

I love your photos too.

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,228 mod
    edited July 2020

@jacksprat_x1 @Sunshinedaff

Hi Jackie

This is a great idea and I love your photographs of the River Deben. I have never been to Suffolk believe it or not, but I can see that I will have to put it on my ‘to do’ list. The photographs of the old boat are fascinating and I am wondering why it has never been removed.

Here is St Brelades Bay, Jersey

St Brelades Bay is really lovely with soft sand, low rise buildings and glorious gardens. The first three photographs were taken recently during lockdown (no tourists) and the third one was taken in early July last year.

Rob x

@jacksprat_x1 @RobertA

Hello friends,

How are we all doing?

Rob, those photos are really stunning. I love them! Jersey is so pretty and I just love beach photos. Lol, last summer photo! With about 6 people, crowded!! Deserted beaches are real jewels in a holiday hotspot! I remember when we went on holiday to Feuteventura decades ago, we drove south of where we were staying and found the most fantastic deserted beach. It was beautiful. I am not sure it is still like that today, I think there has been a lot of development over the years.

I will try and look out some pics. I found those early ones I took with the Kodak Instamatic, lol, now all I can see is a wonky horizon!! Haha!

Til I locate them, here are some pics of the marmalade I finished making today! 😄

Hope you are both doing ok, chat soon,

Lots of hugs

Lou xxx

edited July 2020

@Sunshinedaff

Good evening Lou

Ooh, I love marmalade, usually on crumpets soaked in butter and your photos are fab. Your family are so lucky to have your home made marmalade - not to mention the cakes. 🍰😛A friend once made me some whiskey marmalade. I wasn’t very keen on the idea, but one day when I had run out of my usual brand, I tried it. It was gorgeous.

Yes, we have lots of beaches here and so they are rarely very busy.

Chat soon.

Rob xx

edited July 2020

It has been a lovely day today and we took a walk on the North coast of the Island.

The North Coast is full of lovely cliff walks which drop down into little bays. Here are a couple of photographs I took with my phone camera.

On the one overlooking the sea, you can just make out Sark which is 18miles away and possibly Guernsey, the bigger island to its left. Sark is a gorgeous little island with no cars but several pubs, horses and bicycles.

On another walk further round to the East, the French coast is clearly visible. Carteret in Normandy is just 14 miles from Gorey harbour.

Chat soon

Rob x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 715 mod

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

These photos are lovely, you live in such a beautiful area, the coastline is always a great place to find great photo opportunities.

This week is when we should have been in France for two+ weeks, so Mark is off.

I managed to arrange a couple of recycling trips so he can dispose of all the gardening waste, lol, there is soooooo much!

But then on Tuesday, we travelled to Falmouth, Cornwall ...for the day!!! lol

We left at 6am, and arrived home again at 10pm. It was a loooonnnnggggg day.

We visited the uni accommodation that is meant to be where Hannah is going. We arrived to a building site! Uh oh. We expect Cornwall to be full of tiny streets and narrow lanes, but this was ubsurd. I cannot think why someone would think of building uni digs in an area where access is extremely precarious around a residential area with zero parking. Let's put 200 students there!! Suffice to say, the stress regarding this has risen a lot. With approx 6 weeks to go, trying to re-evaluate accommodation, not easy. Mark and I are now looking to see if we can find any private renting available. Because of the situation we are in, everything is so tricky and complicated aswell.

But, we did have a good look round, Mark and Phoebe had not been before, just Hannah and I.

We walked all through town back up to the beach and hotel where we stayed in Feb, then back round to the uni to have a look again. This was all positive, mostly.

Mark and Hannah took some photos which I will post in a tick from my phone.

And we may be going back down again next week!! lol. Exhausting. Yesterday was a write off. hahaha.

Chat later,

Lou xx

Photos from Falmouth, really lovely town.

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

We used to walk for miles along the Northern cliff paths, but these days the walks tend to be shorter as I am more comfortable on the flatter walks on the South coast.

You must be a bit sad at missing out on your French holiday, but at least the weather is really good and you do live in a very attractive area.

Wow, Falmouth and back in one day. That is a looooonnnnggg trip. It must have been a huge disappointment when you saw the accommodation and I hope that you are able to source something more acceptable. Wow, if you are going down again next week, maybe you should consider a stopover, especially if the weather is still fine.

We are not planning to get off the Island this year. Everything sounds so uncertain so we will see things out here and see what happens going forward. It will be the first time ever that we have not had a break away for over a year.

Chat soon

Rob xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Wow, lovely photographs. I particularly like the one of the narrow street opening on to the waterfront with the modern cruise liner sitting in the bay. Mary and I have only been to Cornwall once and we were unlucky as it rained every day but one. On the day it didn’t rain, we went to the Lost Gardens of Heligan. The story of how they became neglected and overgrown after the gardeners were called up to the armed services was fascinating and sad at the same time. The gardens are magnificent now of course.

Rob xx

@RobertA @jacksprat_x1

Good morning friends,

I hope you are having a good week.

Yes, Cornwall is a lovely place, unfortunately the weather can be very hit and miss, typical UK weather. But when it is sunny and bright, it is really spectacular coastline and scenic beauty.

One evening last week we went into Bournemouth up onto the cliff top to look at the cruise ships anchored offshore. Parked nearby, it was lovely to watch the sea, the beaches were fairly empty by this time, but looking towards the pier the prom was packed, not good.

This is looking towards Old Harry Rocks in Swanage.

Downloading photos from the camera at moment, it has become a large project as we have them filed everywhere! Multiple times! Lol. 😂

Hope you are having a good day.

Lou xxx

Good evening everyone.

A pleasant afternoon today and we had a walk and a sandwich overlooking the sea on the East Coast.

Rob xx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Dear Ftiends,

Sorry I have not contributed for a while.

I saw this on the wall of our local artists studio and it really cheered me up! I hope it does you all too!

I’m thinking of you all and will say night night all. Be in touch soon.

love Jackie x🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie. Lovely to hear from you and I hope you, Norman and Jasper are keeping well. I love that painting. The bee really comes alive and he looks huge. We have a local sand artist who constructs some amazing structures. How about this one for a sand castle?

Rob x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Rob,

The Bee is really striking isn’t it??

The sandcastle is amazing too. Where is it displayed?

We are all very well thanks Rob and we hope you and Mary are keeping well.

My last scan and tests showed no C present! Next scan a years time so very pleased about that. 20 months since op now. So grateful!

My daughter and family have just come back from 2 weeks in a cottage in Cornwall. Teddy 7 loved The lost Gardens of Heligan, particularly the rope bridge he told us in his postcard! Lovely! Back to school next week!

Glad to hear that you are settling in to your new home. Where did you move to Rob?

Will write again soon, must go and see to dinner! 😀

Take care

Love Jackie x 🙋‍♀️

Good morning friends 😊,

Great photos, Rob, Jersey always looks so beautiful. Wow, that is an impressive sand sculpture, incredible.

Jackie the bee painting made me smile, we love HP in this house!

I am so glad you got another good report from the doctors, fantastic news!! 🤗👏.

We will be travelling to Cornwall in two weeks to take Hannah to uni, so much to sort out!!!😭 Glad your family enjoyed their break, it is beautiful down there.

August Bank Holiday, can you believe it! Not sure what we will do today.

Hope you all have a good day any way.

Chat soon,

🤗🤗

Lou xx

edited August 2020

@jacksprat_x1 @Sunshinedaff

Good afternoon dear friends.

It is great to hear that your scan is clear Jackie, and it must give you confidence knowing that you will not need your next scan for another year.

How lovely to hear that Teddy liked the Lost Gardens of Heligan. They are amazing and there is something of interest for everyone. If you get the chance whilst you are in Cornwall with Hannah Lou, they are well worth a visit.

The sand sculpture was made by a man known as ‘The Sand Wizard’ and it is located at St Catherine’s in Jersey. Well known in the Island, he used to build them in the open air, but he had a dome constructed which enabled him to protect his sculptures and build bigger, more intricate ones. He only charges £1.00 entry though people often give him more.

Mary and I have moved to a new build apartment exclusively for over 55s on the outskirts of town. It is much smaller than our old home and we have had to let go of things we loved but it is worry free, easy to manage and the neighbours are really friendly so we are very happy with it.

Well Lou, we took a long walk from our apartment to St Aubins Harbour today. It is 5.8 miles,(according to my walking app) and mostly along the seafront so I felt justified in treating myself to a Bakewell tart even though I am weight watching at the moment. We did get the bus back though.

Chat soon xx

We had a lovely mild and sunny day last week so Mary and I took a walk along the seafront at St Brelades.

A bit sad to see it so quiet and empty. Let’s hope the prospect of a COVID injection will help us get the place buzzing again and life back to normal.

Rob xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

These are really beautiful photos, it looks like it could be a tropical destination. I know how empty it must feel like, especially if the main trade is tourism, and there just hasn't been any this year. Hopefully you in Jersey will remain at a very low case of covid cases and in time people will be able to visit more freely again soon.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Yes, it is a lovely place and we are lucky to have it. Our COVID cases are rising too fast, I’m afraid and I think people are not playing the game. We are asked to wear masks in shops and to maintain social distancing, but it is not enforceable and too many people are ignoring it. Well, at least it is quiet away from town and the shops so we are still able to enjoy walks in relative safety.

When this is all over, we would love to have you stay and show you round the Island.

Chat soon.

Rob xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Yes, it isn't good when many are disregarding information and recommendations to continue on as if life was normal. Just come back from dr visit with h and we noticed how the roads are a lot quieter round here and into town. I think many are staying at home here for now. We had to drive past the beach and could see the huge cruise ships anchored offshore. It is an incredible sight when you see so many in the same patch of water.

We had a glorious sunrise this morning, I took some snaps out of the window, the view isn't great as it was towards the garden wall. I will post a couple on here, but they don't do it justice really, the sky was ablaze, it was fantastic.

I hope you and Mary are having a good week and can out a little again.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 715 mod

@LouiseJ

Good evening Lou. Wow, those photos are amazing. I can’t begin to imagine what the sunrise must have looked like for real.

Mary and I feel we need to get out into the fresh air every day, even if it is only for a short time, especially as we do not have a garden. If I sit around too much, my polymyalgia rheumatica grabs the opportunity to stiffen up my muscles and make me feel unwell. It is just amazing how much a walk and some fresh air can regenerate me both physically and mentally.

Mary said she didn’t want to cook tonight, so we popped round to a nearby restaurant which we knew would be quiet and enjoyed lamb rogan josh with rice, poppadoms and Nan bread - oh, and a bottle of Chardonnay. We love giving ourselves unplanned treats from time to time. Ironic that we then came home and watched MasterChef. At least it didn’t make me feel hungry this time.🤣😂

Chat soon

Rob xx

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531 @jacksprat_x1 @Anneb @NanaBubbles @Lesley

Just looking out of the window of our apartment.

The floodlights to the left are coming from the Jersey Reds Football Club. Sadly the rest of their fixtures for this season have been cancelled due to COVID travel restrictions but we are well located to walk to the ground and watch the games next season. They have a really good Portuguese restaurant there which is still allowed to offer takeaway meals and we will be treating ourselves tomorrow evening. I’m thinking picadinho with olives in red wine sauce🤪

Rob xx

Good morning everyone 😊,

Rob, that is a lovely nighttime photo, I love the colours. I expect when the matches do resume you will be able to hear the spectators from where you live! The floodlights really light up everywhere don’t they.

The dish looks yummy, is it beef? I am not very up on Portuguese cuisine.

I can’t remember the last time we had a takeout. One of our places to go when restaurants are open is a little Indian curry house in Ringwood. Tucked away, easy to miss driving by. The food is just gorgeous and we would love to take the girls there one day.

We also do have a Indian takeaway which is fantastic, the aroma coming from it when we walk past , 😋.

Chat later,

Lou xx

Hi Lou

Yes, I imagine that we will be able to hear the spectators from where we live but we are planning to be at the games ourselves.😀

The Reds have been very unlucky because they joined the Southern counties league last season and won every one of the 26 games they played before the season was stopped because of Covid. They started this season well too, but the need to fly and isolate has just made it impossible for them to continue. It is a pity because they need to be in a stronger league.

Yes, the picadinho is made with beef and it is quite spicy and very tender, yum. Pork is also very popular with the Portuguese and again, the sauces they make to cook them in are to die for. Oh, I love the aroma of Indian food but these days my stomach struggles with curries and we haven't tried one for quite a while now. You have inspired me though and I am thinking perhaps a nice balti with a nan bread dip might work.

rob xx