Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Webinars, Events & Live Better With Updates

Share your cancer journey with us! We'd love to hear from you.

Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Good morning friends,

Hope you're all doing well and safe.

We're currently looking for people to share their story and tips tips for living better with cancer. 🤗

We know that opening up to others about something so personal can be hard, but it may surprise you to know that many people living with cancer find solace and other unexpected benefits by sharing their stories. Passing on the things you’ve learned during your journey can help make a big difference to someone else in a similar situation - and maybe help your overall wellbeing at the same time. 💕

It doesn't matter if you are living with or caring for someone with cancer, or you are in remission - we'd love to hear from you.

If you'd like to be interviewed by Live Better With and share your story with us and our community, please leave a comment below or email [email protected]!

Best,

Blanka x

Comments

• VivViv Posts: 21 ✭✭

Hello every one wishing you all a good journey if you are about to start with cancer.

Well for me I had a mammogram June last year I was told I had a lot of DCIS Ok well don’t know what that is the following week I saw a consultant he was not very sympathetic and before I even sat down he told me that I would have a mastectomy and it would be the following week although.

I can’t tell you how I felt I have always coped with everything in my life but this is very different I did not cry but the stress my family suffered I really could not cope with I did not want the cuddles and sympathy it made me feel worse.

I decided that I did not want to go flat and I was to old for reconstruction although I could of had that so I took a chance and went for implant my local hospital does not do that so I had a long journey to another hospital

that all went well an I am happy With my choice never the same as your own but looks good under a T Shirt.

next was the Path report not the best my breast tissue was found two small area of HER2 Positive + and a micro dot in one lymph node Very aggressive although it was stage 3 was going to be treated as stage 2 because of the size in the lymph nod. still chemotherapy radium and herceptrin.

But before all that they found I had very early stage kidney cancer so another hospital a long journey and kidney removed no further treatment it had not spread and very small so I’m lucky

my treatment for breast cancer did not start until January this year I had to recover a little first well chemo can be a bit rough but not as bad as I was expecting that’s now over with and my hair is beginning to grow back

this week will be my last herceptin I have had six months instead of a year Which is now what every one has the radium I decided not to have as I live on a island and would of had to stay in a hotel on the mainland for 3 weeks so a risk of the virus.

my husband also had a cardiac arrest so he would be by himself

i will be written off tomorrow by the oncologist which I find extremely scary as I don’t have other medication nothing else works for this cancer.

my tips I’m lucky and could afford the creams that are expensive but worth the money for your skin all natural.

I did buy 3 wigs but decided in the end I did not care what people thought after all I have been ill so I spent my money on a few hats and good natural shampoo and conditioner and I have not worn the wigs but with the warmer weather I go without. Just a hat when I go out.

worst for me is I have lost lots of weight and I get very cold and there are a few side effects but it’s not to bad

im now going to recover I hope and put the last year behind me I have had no help from any one so it’s been very much a lonely time. Look forward and be positive at tines it’s hard but it’s worth it.

best wishes Viv xx

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin
    edited June 2020

Hello Viv,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. You're going through quite the journey, but I'm so pleased to hear you're keeping positive.

Thank you for your encouraging words and your tips, I'm sure they will help lots of members of our community. :)

Please do let me know if you'd like to share your story with our wider community as well and maybe get interviewed by our lovely team about your cancer journey. ❤️

Feel free to get in touch with me via a private message if you are interested or have questions. :)

Best,

Blanka x

Community Admin @ Live Better With

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Viv

Hi Viv

Oh my goodness, you have been through a lot and it must be even more difficult for you coping with lockdown and your husband’s cardiac arrest too.

I also live on an Island (Jersey) and three years ago I travelled to England for five weeks of radiotherapy during which time I was looked after and fussed over. I coped pretty well at the time and it was not until it was over and I was back home that I started to get really anxious, unsettled and a little scared. The medical people had melted away and I felt abandoned and alone and I think that it was a pretty common and normal reaction.

I volunteered to share my story in this lovely Community and I am pleased that I did as it enabled me talk openly about my experiences and feelings. I was touched by the warmth, friendship and understanding I received from the members.

Coping with cancer is a lonely business and I am pleased that you have found us. I do hope you will keep in touch.

Rob x

• VivViv Posts: 21 ✭✭

Thank you Rob I don’t think people understand exactly how you feel unless you have had this journey.

unfortunatley most of the Boats were canceled from the island so it would of made it almost impossible for me to come home So once I was having Radium I would of had to stay in a hotel that would not of supplied food I doubt that the hospital would of fed me and I was very scared of the virus.

I doubt I would of been the only person from the Island but it all became to stressful.

thank you for your reply it means a lot that people understand how we all feel

thank you xxx

ccc