Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Carers Corner

Anxiety and Depression/Recovering from recent family bereavement

I would like to ask if there is anything else instead of Tamoxifen that i could try.....and have had my anti depressants changed also but still im very fragile indeed.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pinkpussycatHG

Hi,

Welcome to the community, it is good you have found us!

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with things. I am very sorry for your loss. This must be a particularly difficult time for you.

I would encourage you to speak to your oncologist about the possibility of changing meds.

They will be best placed to advise you whether a change of meds is appropriate.

I believe Tamoxifen is prescribed in cancer treatment to women who are pre menopausal. There are a variety of meds, but it depends if they will be suitable for you depending on what stage of life you are at.

I have changed meds 3 times since first being prescribed. I started on Tamoxifen as I was pre menopausal, changed to Letrozole later, by then I was post menopausal, then I changed meds a third time.

The circumstances are very different for each person, which is why the doctors are the best people to talk to. If you are on antidepressants, that may also affect what meds you have, I don't know though.

I am sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer about this. But of course we are here to listen, and if we can help support you we are always here for you. You can come and chat at any time.

Everyone here understands what it's like living with cancer and the emotional and mental impact it has. Anxiety and depression are not unusual when dealing with cancer and the after effects. Add a bereavement and you are under even more pressure.

Do you have anyone you can talk to where you are?

I know with the pandemic everything is so much worse to deal with. Can your GP/ Dr put you in touch with anyone?

Please keep in touch, if you want to chat, anytime just say.

Take care,

Lou x

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @pinkpussycatHG,

I am so sorry for your loss. Please do remember there's always a pair of ears on here if you'd like to chat.

I also wanted to let you know that we have a lovely oncology nurse on here, @LizzyB73. You can always ask her if you need further advice on living with cancer, side effects or treatments.

Take care,

Blanka