Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Hello to old friends and new ones...

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 601 mod

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been thinking about our community and all the wonderful members who are a part of it.

I was wondering how some of you are who haven't been on here for a while? I am mindful of not tagging you, as I know how things can change when going through cancer. You may have completed treatment and be recovering and moving on with your life post-cancer, or still going through it all. But rest assured what ever it is, I know and remember your names and stories, and would love to hear how you are getting on.

Remember we are always here for anyone, this community has built up a very caring nature and 'family' feel. You will find others who listen to you, cry with you, laugh with you, share stories and tips with, and generally chat about anything you feel like chatting about.

The pandemic has led to many needing to shield from others and in doing so may have become more isolated than they wish to be.

So if this lands in your inbox, please know it is a genuine message to say hello, and we hope to hear from you.

Chat soon,

Lou xx😊

Comments

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou,

Really lovely to hear from you,how are you?

As you are aware I finished my treatment in January,I wasn’t allowed the last 4 Herceptin treatments,because of a reduced heart function.

I have now been told that the Chemo treatment has caused damage to my heart,and have now been put on a beta blocker and an ace inhibitor.

They have assigned a Community heart nurse to me,who is wonderful,she rings me every week and is with me every step of the way.

The tablets can have an effect on your kidneys so you have regular kidney function blood teats.

Through having this blood test they have discovered that my cholesterol is very high and yesterday prescribed a statin to try and bring it down.

I find it unbelievable that after over a year of breast cancer treatment,including a mastectomy,that it has caused me these problems.

I did have a wobble yesterday,but have picked myself up today.

I am optimistic and am doing what I have to do,I have the most wonderful husband,who has been there every step of the way with me,and we will get through this as well together.

I hope that you are keeping well and looking after yourself.

Speak soon,

Barbara x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 601 mod

@PositiveLady10

Hi Barbara,

How lovely to hear from you, thank you so much for getting in touch.

I am so sorry to hear about how the chemotherapy has had such a lasting impact on you, and damaging your heart. I do remember that you had to stop the chemo because your heart function had diminished. It is good to hear you are getting regular support and checks from the heart nurse. Those meds sound like strong ones, I hope the side effects are bearable for you, but are effective too.

I hope the statins do help to reduce the high cholesterol levels for you, I was on those for a while pre cancer diagnosis, but they changed something else, my liver I think, so it got stopped.

I do understand your wobble, yes after going through all the treatments to be rid of the cancer, to find parts of your life seem harder and worse in places is really hard to deal with. It does take a long time to adjust to a new way of life that wasn't planned out that way.

I am glad you feel brighter today, being optimistic and hopeful is an excellent approach to take. It is wonderful that you have a very supportive husband and your beautiful family and grandchildren are all there to rally round and support you too.

I am doing well, apart from a migraine today, I am still cancer free, and managing as best as I can with the aches and pains in my bones and joints etc from medication and treatment. During lockdown I have spent time sorting the garden, growing fruit and vegetables which are coming along very well, as well as the flowers and plants. I have even encouraged the girls to join in, which is a first! hahaha!

I hope you are having a peaceful evening,

Chat again soon,

🤗🤗

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11

@LouiseJ @PositiveLady10

Good evening everyone

What a lovely message Lou.

I so agree with everything you have said. This is a wonderful community thanks to lots of special people who have told us their stories and shared their cancer journeys with us.

It would be lovely to think that people who have not posted for a while have been able to move forward with their lives and are in a good place in every respect.

Oh Barbara, you have had a tough time. It is hardly surprising if you have a little wobble occasionally. It is great to know that you have such a supportive husband. I know that I would have really struggled without the loving support of my wife Mary who has lived through the cancer journey with me.

Reading both of your comments is a powerful reminder that the physical side effects of living through cancer never really leave us. It is special to know that we have this Community to share our stories and to support and encourage each other through the cancer journey and beyond.

Rob xx

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou and Rob,

thank you for your lovely comments, the support we give each other in this Community Forum is wonderful.

Lou, you mentioning gardening in lockdown, I have also been doing lots outside, I grew runner beans from last years saved beans, grew them on and my husband planted out 55 beans for me.

I found that going through my treatment last year, doing a bit outside when I was able, was my saving grace, I so enjoy it, it takes you to “another place”, in your head.

Rob, we are both so lucky to have such wonderful partners, as we both know that some do not have that support.

My husband went through bowel cancer himself, so to hit us both has been a big blow, but thank god we are both here to live to tell the tale.

If there is one thing I’ve learned, is that people and things we took for granted, have made me realise just how important they are.

The little things are not important anymore, cherish what you have.

Sermon over, take care ,

Barbara x