Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Managing Day-to-day Life with Cancer

Writing a journal

Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of days I've begun writing a new journal on a computer.

I started by going back to my initial diagnosis three and a half years ago. Being told I had incurable prostate cancer and that without treatment I had twelve months to live.

What it has made me realise is how much we go through on our own personal cancer journey. I can look back at the battles I've faced and feel proud of myself. Just wondering if anyone else has written a journal and how did it feel.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone on this brilliant forum,

Regards Peter xxxx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,174 mod

@peter63

Hi Peter

What a great idea. By the way, I was diagnosed around the same time, in December 2016 in fact and I was told my cancer was incurable and that it was a very aggressive, Gleason 5 +4 =9. My original prognosis like yours, was not encouraging but with my wife Mary by my side, I have weathered the physical and mental pressures and the highs and lows and we are still here and counting.

Mary has kept records of everything since I was first diagnosed and there have been some lows, that's for sure. You are right Peter, it is tough and we do deserve a pat on the back for getting to where we are now.

Have you noticed how many people think that having prostate cancer is not a big deal? I am often told about people who have had it and are now as good as new. Sometimes I am made to feel that I am somehow a bit wet but as we both know that like any other cancer, there are significant different levels of metastasis and aggression. With a comprehensive journal, we can at least reassure ourselves that we are not wimps at all, but great survivors.

Cheers

Rob

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi Rob,

Good to hear from you, hope you are feeling a little brighter and not in so much pain.

Our stories sound very similar, I was also Gleason 5+4 and told very clearly that I was incurable. My first oncology consultant told me without urgent treatment I only had twelve months to live.

Writing the journal is really making me realise how far I've travelled and how much I've overcome.

Take care, stay safe and best wishes,

Regards Peter

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter63

Hi Peter,

I think writing a journal is a great idea. I did start writing when I was diagnosed, and then the treatment etc affected my brain function . haha! Chemo brain!!

I do have a reminder on my phone to do some writing each day, it doesn't always work though.

I think writing down your experiences and feelings is a positive thing to do. Even if it is for your eyes only.

To see how far you have come Peter from your initial diagnosis is wonderful.

You are inspiring me to pick it up again.

Hope you are having a peaceful weekend.

Take care,

Lou x

, Hi Lou,

I have to admit that I am already finding the process very therapeutic. It's reminding me that I have travelled so far on my cancer journey. I was initially given twelve months to live, but the journal is showing what is possible.

Trying to make sure I do at least an hour a day.

Hope you are keeping well and staying safe, all my best wishes,

Regards Peter xxx

@peter63

Hi Peter,

That's fantastic! Good to have that discipline about it. Do you find your thoughts come faster than your ability to write it down?? I know mine do, even if I am typing. I have made some bullet point notes to remind me of things I want to say when I am writing.

I did look up some writing tips, I got sent a lot from someone.

Yes, I am keeping well thanks.

Have a good evening,

Lou xx

• MoorandHill_manMoorandHill_man Posts: 10

Great idea. I have been writing one so as to let my wife know of my life before I met her 35 years ago. I lived a fairly action packed life back then and events and stories I shared when meeting up with old muckers I am writing down; just in case.

As this is my third time with cancer, second time my lovely wife went through with me, I too am writing down all the good things I remember.

its a great way to get your mind around the facts of cancer, treatments and the nice people you meet in the hospitals. If only we could be so nice to each other all the time in life!

Take care.

Hi, thanks for the response . I have only my journal to cover my cancer journey and my use of therapy with my pyscologist . I have found it very helpful looking back at treatments and various other events. Take care and best wishes for the future.

@MoorandHill_man

Good morning,

Great to hear from you

I think your writing will be an excellent read one day, stories of people's lives are important to put down and remember. It can make such a huge difference and impact on someone, not just the writer. Who knows who will be inspired by you telling your story.

I love this about the community too. Reading others stories, is very encouraging and uplifting.

Hope you are having a good week.

Lou x