Hot flushes

When I had to undergo chemo it immediately put me into the menopause or chemopause as some might say. I was told that it would probably be permanent, given my age at the time. To be honest I thought yay! Surely there has to be a silver lining in all of this stuff. It wasn't until after surgery and I was starting hormone meds that I started to experience the dreaded hot flushes! I remember previously when other friends would talk about hot flushes I would wonder what they meant exactly. I could never understand it. Hahahaahaha!!! Oh boy! I sure found out. It was so funny, except maybe not at the time! I would go to bed at night, then between 1-3 am I would suddenly be awake and find myself ON FIRE! I mean ON FIRE! But not over my whole body, just my head! Burning, dripping, oh my word....no. Nothing seemed to help cool me down. Finding a cold cloth, running it under cold water, chucking my head under the shower. One night it was so bad I crept around to the window, trying not to wake my husband up, failing miserably, to have him find me hanging out of the window, on the window sill, soaking wet from chucking water over myself, desperately trying to cool down! Don't laugh, but I still hadn't joined the dots and realise this was a hot flush!!Noooo!! I was at the hospital one day, and I just mentioned it to one of the nurses who asked me how I was getting on with the meds. I said fine!! 'But do you know what this is?'... She nearly fell off her chair laughing when I told her what I had been doing. Nightmare!! Then, one day, miracle of miracles!! Haha! On my FB timeline I saw an ad for this Gel O cooling gel pad. It was from here, Live Better With. I had not come across them before, and it was the first time I had heard of Live Better With Cancer. I tell you something, I was desperate, so I decided to give it a go. I bought one, popped it in the fridge to cool down for a few hours. At night placed it inside my pillowcase, and I thought this is either going to work or it's not. WOW! is really all I can say. FANTASTIC! No more waking up head on fire. I was using it every night, it goes everywhere with me if I am going away. It has been amazing. Seriously, if any one out there is suffering like I was, try it. There are probably others available, but I know this one worked for me. And in the summer we had this year, it was an absolute essential. Check it out, they have it in the shop here under 'Difficulty Sleeping' section. https://livebetterwith.com/products/gelo-cool-pillow-mat/

The reason I am writing this today is because earlier I only just realised the hot flushes have calmed down. I can't remember when I last had one. How cool is that! (No pun intended!). :) 

Have a good evening :) x

Comments

• annalondonannalondon Posts: 6
    Have now finished chemo and radiotherapy and on Tamoxifen. Straight into the menopause but like you @ sunshinedaff found the gel pads and they are a game changer. I have two and I swap them during the night if I wake so they stay cool. An amazing product!!!! There’s also one called Chillmax by JML. I am taking these everywhere with me!!!
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 303 mod
    @annalondon

Hi Anna, 
    That's a great idea to get two cool pads, I think I will do that, because, yes sometimes it gets warm, and I find myself, turning it over in the pillow case. Another one will be far more effective.
    I am glad you are finding they work. 
    How are you getting on with the Tamoxifen otherwise?
    I hope you are recovering well from the chemo and radiotherapy, although as you may have read, it takes a long time, longer than we think.

Welcome to the group, great to have you here. I hope you find it helpful and supportive, it is a friendly group, with more people joining in daily.
    Please feel free to join in with any chat you like. There is one 'Us as people not the disease' where some of us chat about anything. @Lesley started that one. @hessom also began a late night chat the other day for the night owls among us.

Lou x

• annalondonannalondon Posts: 6
    Hi Lou, 
    All fine with the Tamoxifen. Feel tired but I think that could be put down to a few things....Radiotherapy finished on Friday, have a stinking cold (my poor immune system!) as my Husband suggested celebrating but I felt rubbish and also a bit numb. It’s an odd feeling (don’t get me wrong, am very, very grateful to be finished) but the Oncologist said “well, that’s it, you’ll be scanned in a year.” This is definitely not the right choice of phrase but it’s a bit of an anti climax. I almost don’t know what to do with myself, whose going to ask my date of birth everyday! Again, am aware there are brave people struggling right now going through treatment or living with a terminal diagnosis and I am very, very lucky. One day at a time, you can’t just flick a switch (for me) to 7 months ago when this ‘journey’ started. Hopefully I will also stop crying at TV ads, that would be a start 😂. Hope all good with you and thanks for the info.x
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 303 mod
    Hi @annalondon

Oh yes, I understand completely where you are coming from. 
    It is wonderful you have come through this, but it is also a huge shock to come to terms with. 7 months is no time at all. I am sure it has been a whirlwind for you. And then suddenly it is over. Plus daunting to think no one wants to see you for a year! You almost want to go 'no hold on a minute'. I remember feeling a sense of loss after my last chemo session (as if you'd miss chemo! Nuts!), but I had got so used to being there so often for so long, I knew all the drs and nurses, it is a little community really. You get to see the same patients who are on a similar rotation. It was the same with radiotherapy, same faces, same times, every day:pensive:
    That feeling of not knowing what to do with yourself is very common to many of us too. You are not alone.
    Yes, we are blessed to have made it through, but don't underestimate the effect it has had on you. 
    Definitely one day at a time, my motto! 
    So funny to hear you cry at the ads, me too! I get a lot of stick from my daughters for it..mum you crying again? NO! Sniff. :p
    I do hope you get over your cold quickly, and then when you are feeling more up to it, go and celebrate. Rejoicing is good.  :)

Chat again soon.

Lou x