Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

VE DAY - 75 years celebrations...

LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod
edited May 6 in Cancer Coffee Break

This week, on Friday 8th May, it will be 75 years since the first VE day was celebrated.

VE Day - or 'Victory in Europe Day' - marks the day towards the end of World War Two (WW2) when fighting against Nazi Germany in Europe  came to an end. On 8 May 1945, at 3pm, the Prime Minister Winston Churchill made an announcement on the radio that the war in Europe had come to an end, following the surrender of Germany the day before.

I know there will be many of us who were not even born during the war years, but have stories or memories that our parents or relatives have passed down to us from that time. Or maybe there are some of our members here who were alive then and have their own memories.

I thought it would be a lovely tribute, partly to remember all those who gave their lives for our freedom, if we were to share some of these stories or photos from this time. A memorable time in history, not to be forgotten.

What are your memories from VE Day if you were living then? Some areas are having social distancing street parties I have heard, probably sat in their front gardens or driveways. Are you doing something similar?

If you have any stories, memories , photos you would like to share , please do so here. We would love to hear from you.

I have a photo of my mother from VE Day that the local newspaper took, from where she was living. It ended up in the local paper. She was just a teenager back then, and is no longer here. I will look it out and post it.

I hope to hear some of your stories too,

Have a great day

Lou x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,175 mod

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou and everybody

Here in Jersey, we will celebrate on the following day, May 9th as that is the 75th anniversary of the Liberation of Jersey.

The Island was effectively abandoned by the British as of no military importance on 15th June 1945 and the Germans subsequently invaded on 1st July that year. It was not a surprise as the Island is so close to what was occupied France and could not reasonably have been defended. It remained under German control until 1945.

After the D Day Landings on June 6th 1944, Jersey and the other Channel Islands were cut off and all food, medicines and other supplies which had been coming over via France stopped. There were severe shortages and without the Red Cross, people would have starved to death. The German Commander formally surrendered on May 9th 1945.

As you can imagine, there are huge celebrations on May 9th every year. We have military vehicle parades and people dress in 40s clothing and dance in the streets to the Jersey Big Band amongst other. The Liberation Ceremony is re enacted and in the evening there are parties and fireworks.

The Occupation is still very much part of the Island’s history and the German War Tunnels and several bunkers are open to the public with displays from the period.

This is The Parade under occupation and as it is today.

Liberation Celebrations from last year

A German Officer with a Jersey Policeman followed by one of many surviving bunkers around the island,

and finally the Germans being loaded onto landing craft and sent home following liberation.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Morning Rob,

These are fantastic! Of course the Channel Islands were occupied during the war. Any commemoration must be very poignant for the islands. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Last night when we were out clapping for carers, one of my neighbours brought a keyboard and trumpet out and played Land of Hope and Glory, it was very moving, apart from other clapping, fireworks in the distance, it was so quiet which made it even more special. Today they are going to do something again. Asked if Phoebe wanted to join in, but she is way too shy!

We have decided as a close to have tea in the afternoon in our driveways together after 3pm. The close round the corner who use any opportunity to have a street party are doing something too. I expect they will be BBQing on the drives! 😄.

Chat later,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

It sounds as if you have some great neighbours. Ours tend to keep to themselves and I suspect that I would have rotten fruit thrown at me if I got my keyboard out. Pity Phoebe wasn’t able to join in. How about you?

My Mum and my sister who was very small when war broke out, were billeted on a farm as Industrial Teesside was a bombing target. The farmer had a working dog and after the war when my Mum and sister left for home, the dog was distraught. The farmer said it was no use on the farm any more and asked my Mum to take it home which she did. I grew up with that dog which I loved to bits.

Rob xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

We actually had a good time, a couple of hours chatting getting to know the new neighbours. We all kept our distance. I made some orange tiffin and flapjacks to share, so delivered them to doorsteps earlier, lol. It was very hot, I think we all caught the sun, but I did have my hat on!

Mark took some photos but they aren't very good, lol. I have seen some very fancy setups today on FB, ours was nothing like those. At least we all enjoyed it even the girls.

Aww, lovely story, have we seen a pic of your dog? I can't find my mum's photo, aarrgh, jolly garage!! I am going to keep looking through the boxes I sorted out until I find it. Tomorrow is another day.

Going to watch the Queen's speech at 9pm, until then QI as Netflix is playing up!

Lou xx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi dear friends,

Rob your photo’s were so interesting. It must have been so hard to live through those times with supplies running out. I love the story about your beloved dog!

Lou it sounds as if you had a great day with your neighbours! We asked around and no-one was doing it in our street but when we went for a walk a lot of people were in other streets nearby. We decided to have a VE day tea in the garden. Norman baked a banana loaf and fantastic cheese scones and we searched the wardrobes for something approaching forties style. I wore a flower in my hair and put on beads and Norman wore a trilby type of hat! We had a lovely time! After that we walked with Jasper to Norman’s Mum nearby and took her some tea-time goodies! She was so pleased. She is 87 and self isolating. Bless her.

I wish you all a very good weekend and hope that we can keep safe until we can see our loved ones again.

We ‘ll Meet Again.

Love Jackie and Norman xx

edited May 9

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie and Norman

Wow. That tea looks scrumptious and you both look amazing. I rather like Norman’s hat -my Dad wore one like that. Your pearls are gorgeous too.

It is lovely to see you both looking so well after the tough times you have been through. The virus is a nuisance, but we can weather that too. Great to hear that you were able to visit Norman’s Mum. What a treat.

Not much going on in our street either, but we have put some flags in our windows. One is the Jersey flag and the other is the Union Flag of course.

Stay safe.

Rob and Mary xx

Hi Rob,

Lovely to see your window decorations. Lovely looking house you have.

Norman picked this hat up in a fancy dress shop sale bin when he had to play the part of a spiv when we had murder mystery evening. He loves wearing fancy dress!

I couldn’t believe it when we went into lockdown so soon after having to limit interaction with people during chemo. Never mind we are both fortunate to have recovered from our illnesses and things are going well. Hopefully if we are all careful we will get through this virus.

Norman’s Mum bless her was so pleased to see her but we left a bag on the doorstep and spoke to her through her window.

I hope you and Mary are both ok. Have a lovely afternoon.

Lv Jackie x 🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1 @RobertA

Hi Jackie,

Your VE tea looks wonderful, and I love your outfits! And since you have your lovely patio furniture to sit out in and enjoy, even nicer!

I expect Norm's mum was delighted to see you both and receive those tasty goodies!

Rob, well done for putting the bunting up, we don't have any. Some of the neighbours had some to put up. Sorry to hear your neighbours are not very neighbourly. In the next door house, the previous owners ( well the wife) was a tyrant of the close. Read me the riot act when we moved in about parking on the road and not in our driveway! I ignored it, but inside she bothered me, so much I phoned highway services to check what the law was, haha! I was right..phew. Apparently the other neighbours felt the same, it wasn't just us. She spent her life brushing every spec from her driveway, even told the Tesco driver off for parking outside her house one time😂. Very sad really. Had all the money in the world, but miserable. She died very suddenly when they were away on holiday. Her husband was lost without her, needed a lot of help, he died within 6 months after being uprooted to live with his son.

Phew!! That was a huge ramble!! Haha.. sorry.

I found the photo of my mum, she is the young girl holding a book looking towards the car.

Hope you are having a good weekend!

Lou xx

Hi Lou,

We had a neighbour like that and eventually I stopped speaking to her. She was a terrible gossip and was a childminder. She used to leave two little children in the porch whilst she went across the road to gossip. I would have been furious if they had been mine. Eventually she fell out with everyone in the street and I came home to the joyous sight of a sold board next door! She took great delight in telling all that she could see the lady school teacher through her window in the morning wearing her bra and knickers with her binoculars! Net curtains went up quickly opposite in all the houses! She also used to use a huge telescope to look at all in our gardens from her loft room. Wow what a relief to have the lovely people we have now. Whilst we were moving in they stood and watched all our stuff going in and commented on it! Haha. Two lots of people only lived in our house for 18 months each! I used to say to Norman can’t we move and he said they will move before us! That was 18 years ago! O boy!

I love the photo of your Mum with her book Lou. I find pictures of peoples lives in the past fascinating. I hope you had a great VE weekend.

Take care all.

Love Jackie x 🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1

Good morning Jackie 😊,

Ah thank you so much. To be honest it seems so strange to see mum at that age, imagining how she was feeling at that time. In the family they were also dealing with other things, which are unmentionable still in the family. I only found out after she died!

Oh you poor thing having such a neighbour as that! I can't imagine behaving in that way, and sometimes I find it hard to understand why others do.

We have a glorious day here, I am just having coffee in the garden with the girls. Gardening too!

I hope you have a great day,

Chat soon,

Lou 🤗🤗😊🌻🌷

@Sunshinedaff @jacksprat_x1

Good afternoon Lou and Jackie

Haha, our neighbours suddenly seem like angels after hearing your stories.

How lovely to have that photograph of your Mum Lou. and on such a special occasion too.

I bet you are pleased that you decided to stay put Jackie. It sounds awful to imagine that a neighbour would cause you to want to move.

Our house was built in 1896 and we are only the fourth owners. As we are so close to a lovely park and the sea too, it is probably understandable. Haha, we are walking distance to the hospital too and that has been handy over the last four years or so.

Rob xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@RobertA

WOW! 😲 Rob, really??!! Only 4 owners in all that time, that must be quite unusual, that is amazing.

Yes, I have quite a lot of photos of her as a young person, I was showing the girls the other day, we were figuring out who looks like who, haha.

😄

Lou xx

@LouiseJ

Yes, amazing isn’t it. I bought the house in 1985 long before I was married and I filled it with lodgers because I had borrowed so much. When Mary and I got married, she wanted the whole place renovated. Well, it was a mess as you can imagine but suddenly, we were broke again - in comfort this time thankfully. Now it is too big and a lot of our rooms are just used for guests etc.

It must be lovely for you to have those photos. I often think about the next couple of generations who will have quality photos and videos of us long after we’ve gone.

Rob x x