Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Celebrating my First 1000 Posts

RobertARobertA Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have just noticed that I recently completed 1,000 posts in the Community. Like many others who post on LBWC, I had not really used social media before I first posted in late 2018. At the time, I was struggling with anxiety, depression and an overwhelming feeling of loneliness and I didn’t even know what I was looking for, but whatever it was, I had found it. 

I believe that the cancer experience often leaves physical and mental side effects and that is certainly the case with me. Cancer is a life altering event and many of us may not be quite the same person we were before. We still need hormonal treatments and regular check ups and the cancer never really goes away. Friends and family can be really supportive and caring and naturally want us to be the same person we were before cancer intervened, but we cannot always ‘snap back’ to that person and we may not want to. 

I think the good news is that we can get through it and get used to the feeling of vulnerability that always goes with a cancer diagnosis. I was lucky to find the help I needed via MacMillan Cancer Support and the lovely people here on LiveBetterWithCancer. I love this community, sharing with all you lovely, courageous, caring and funny people, friends who don’t mind when someone is having a bad day and who like to celebrate the good ones together. 

Looking forward to the next 1000. 

Rob x 

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Congratulations!!😀

I agree with everything you have said, how amazing it is that we are where we are now. How great it is that the community has taken off and become such a brilliant place to hang out, share stories, give and receive support and encouragement. Like you I have made lovely friends, as you know (😉), but it is always so good to chat with everyone whoever it is.

I hope you have a great day, chat later,

Lou xx