Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

UPDATED: RENAMED: Gardening, 'all shapes and sizes, hints, tips and pics' thread!

Comments

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

The kangeroos still havent come down the hill. I have been out everynight but to no avail 😢

When the grass and water is available higher up in the mountains they do not need to come down lower for food😢😢😢

So i am sending a photo of Wendy the Wallaby. When we lived in Batemans Bay on the NSW coast, (we moved back to home to Albury about 7 years ago ) Wendy would come down to just outside our back door to eat the Burrawong seeds for hours. She was so beautiful.

If you look closely you will see a bump in the front. She had a little baby boy who we called Wally the Wallaby ( not very original i know) but we loved them.

Wallabys are a differant breed to kangeroos. They are friendly and harmless 💖💖💖💖💖 and only small. Wendy is fully grown.

I will still try and take a photo of the kangaroos.

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,194 mod

@Anneb

Good morning Margy -well it is morning here.

What a lovely picture of Wendy and Wally. Your home in Batemans Bay looked lovely and green too.

It is rather concrete and suburban where we live and our main visitors are very large and sometimes aggressive seagulls.

I think it is fascinating how different our lives are in many ways and yet so similar.

We love the Aussie wines 🍷🍷🍷😀😀 too.

Rob xx

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone🌵

Great idea to continue the garden theme Lou... I think there's nothing better than flowers to lift the spirits & it's nice to follow the seasons. I wanted to suggest a lovely virtual tour I found on YouTube of the magnificent tulip park in Holland called Keukemhof. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post the link so I won't. For anyone who likes tulips it's worth a trip.

I don't have tulips in my little courtyard so I've posted a photo of my parents' garden in Yorkshire. They are in their 80's & are very active in the garden.

Have a good evening all 🌷 Ali X

@Chilali1531

Hi Ali

Your parents live in Yorkshire! Their garden is lovely. I was born in County Durham but I went to school in Ripon. I love Yorkshire and my best friend is a farmer in Wensleydale.

Rob x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6

@Anneb , @Chilali1531

Good evening everyone, (good morning Margy! 😄),

Ahhh, Wendy is lovely Margy, how cool is that they come so close to the house. The only thing we have like that are the robins and cheeky squirrels and magpies who come right up near the window! The squirrels are cute, they are very funny especially when they are playing, mind you they drive the cats nuts if they catch sight of them! 😂

Ali, your parent's garden is so pretty very 'chocolate box' feel to it and the house, if you know what I mean!

Spent some time in the front garden today, tidying up. It was hard work and I notice I find it much harder at the moment. I think not being able to swim is having an impact. Anyone got a swimming pool they can lend me???😄😂.

Hope you all have a good evening,

Lou xx

Hello everyone.

It is lovely to see all the beautiful flowers. We are linited with flowers here with a pretty harsh climate. Petunias and daisys do well. Also roses believe it or not. I think we have hardier breeds as they love the cold and thrive in 40 degree heat. It is just about impossible to kill them. Thankheavens.

I would love to have sqirrels ( pete probably wouldnt 🤣🤣🤣) we have heaps of birds too. Rosellas, lorrikets, owls at night.

Yes Rob, everywhere we have lived we have always bought land so we are not hemmed in by neighbours 😂😂 we have been very lucky 💖💖

I know what you mean Lou, energy level has never returned to my pre cancer days. I just do what i can now and if it takes longer..that is my lot then.

Our home in Batemans Bay was to die for. The garden even had a rainforrest, i will send a picture for you. We had 5 acreas of garden.

This was our view from a wrap around balcony💖💖

Well i am off to plant bulbs now. Ive had them in the fridge for 2 weeks so should be ready to go. Dont ask me why i do this 😂😂😂my mum told me a million years ago that i had to put in the fridge before planting and i cant remember why🤣🤣🤣

Love all the gardens, keep the photos coming 💖💖💖💖

Love Margy xxx

All planted 🌸🌹🏵🥀🌺🌻⚘🌷

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 686 mod

@Anneb

Hi Margy, good evening!

Wow! That is some view you had in Bateman's Bay! Beautiful! But also your view now is just as stunning, only different! Lovely to have all that land though.

I haven't heard of putting bulbs in the fridge before planting, maybe it's an Aussie thing? Over here we just may as well leave them outside hahaha😂.

Chat later,

Lou 🤗🤗 xx

Morning Campers!🌵

It's another lovely day here in Toulouse. Had to pull out my shorts yesterday- summer has arrived 🌞.

Yes Rob, Yorkshire is a lovely county, I grew up there so am a bit biased... When I go back I love to go up into the Dales.My mum sings in Ripon choir so we often go there to hear concerts. My father is a Nat trust warden at Fountains Abbey nearby. Here are some pics I took last spring while visiting them (between cancers!).

Yes Lou, it does have a chocolate boxy feel ! It's praps also the limestone cottage. Btw if you want to hop over & borrow my pool for a swim you're v welcome!

My husband bought me the pool for my birthday last year as a joke but actually I get a lot of pleasure lying in it when it's baking !! Lucky people with a sea view ...

Happy gardening everyone 🌷Ali X

@Chilali1531

Morning Ali!😀

We also have a bright and sunny start here, but probably not as warm as you have , haha.

The sun is on the patio, and I did say 'ooh look sun, we could have coffee outside' to which the response was 'Good luck with that' hahaha, a bit chilly still. I think I will be able to get the shorts out this week too, they came out last week before the rain returned. Usually, once the shorts come out, that's it for me, they stay out along with the flip flops, until October time. But the flip flops haven't made an appearance just yet. 😁

Your photos of the Abbey are lovely. It looks so pretty in the springtime with the bluebells and daffodils.

I love your little pool, thank you for the offer, I wish I could take you up on it!, I have also noticed your sunflowers in the pots, you have given me an ides of what to do with mine. We have a little strip of bedding down the side of the house where I usually plant mine. Unfortunately, the new-ish neighbour has a hedge next to that part which has not been trimmed since they moved in. So the light is diminished somewhat, but I think if I plant them in pots, I can grow them up in the sun, then when they are tall enough just move the pots round there. Job done! How many have you put in each pot, two?

I hope you have a good day, enjoy the sunshine and peace,

🌻🌻

Lou xx

@Chilali1531 @Sunshinedaff

Hi Ali

Oh, you have made me feel so homesick. I attended the Cathedral Choir School many years ago - I wonder if I could have seen your Mum singing in the Cathedral? I am 74 and I recall you said your parents are in their eighties so who knows? Sadly, I was not a good singer so I decided to learn the piano which pitches the right note simply by pressing a key.

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Gardens are really special to me. Mary and I visit every year as my best friend is a retired Dales farmer and now lives in Masham which is quite close as you know.

By the way, I love seeing all of your fantastic photographs. Thank you.

Haha Lou, the flip flops and shorts should be coming out next week. Looking forward to the pics. 😉

Rob xx

Good morning 🌵

Another warm & sunny day. I've just discovered that we have buds about to flower on our tub of agapanthus ! This may not seem exceptional for most but it's the first time in 8 years! Could be that I fed them this year for once, as my mother has been telling me to do for years ! 😜

Yes Lou, our sunflowers do well in tubs. 4 to a pot but big pots (40 cm diameter) . Of course, you have to talk to them - ours are bilingual - ha !

Hi Rob, I have my flipflops & shorts on already ! Yes, Studley Royal etc is lovely in all seasons. My kids, now grown up, spent many holidays at my parents' & used to go there with Grandpa to " help" . I also once spent a day as a " monk" there !

Last year's beauties.

Keep smiling 🌞Ali X

Good morning everyone,

I just love the photos of your beautiful historic buildings. Just spectacular.

Being a young country as we are we do not have as much history as you do in England and Europe.

Just wonderful, i hope one day soon i will be able to see them for myself

Margy 💖💖💖💖💖

@Anneb @Chilali1531 @RobertA @NanaBubbles @jacksprat_x1

Good evening Margy!

Yes!! Wouldn't that be absolutely fantastic!! Then also we could visit France, I could take you to Condom to see the Musketeers! 😄 . Hope you have had a good day!

Good morning Ali,

Love your sunflowers, I am going to pot mine up today, I should have done it yesterday but it became too hot. I meant to get out early while it was cool, but got waylaid!

Your agapanthus is about to flower already? Wow! Is that due to your warmer climate perhaps. Brilliant it has decided to bless you with some blooms this year! Mine is still in leaf growing stage! Rob said they have loads of them in Jersey.

Rob that looks a beautiful place in the photo, so peaceful and tranquil. I love reading all your stories of your family and things you've done.

Going to post a few more pics, all the azaleas are in bloom now and the rhododendron has exploded with colour.

In our front garden bed, we have lots of lily of the valley growing. I only realised it last year when I was weeding. It smells beautiful.

Oh yes, I almost forgot... yesterday morning, early about 5.30, Hannah and I were up, she was working. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move in the garden. I looked up and lo behold it was only a big fox sauntering across the lawn! I couldn't believe it, I was so glad the cats hadn't been let out. Walked all around the garden then hopped up on the back fence and went into the wood behind us. It was a huge thing, looked very healthy. I was amazed. Unfortunately no photos, I was too stunned to get my phone.. haha. We hear the foxes a lot round by us as we have a lot of woodland and heath land around us, plenty of habitat for them.

We have had dear in the garden too, one time one came up to the front of the house, literally outside the windows. We have rockery beds in the front and several steps. That was exciting! Again no photos, we were too in awe watching!

Anyway will post pics up

Chat later!

Lou xx

💐🌻🌞😄

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

Good morning all

Wow! All your photos are wonderful - so colourful and beautiful! We have been pottering about in the garden quite a lot this week and it does lift the spirits, particularly with all the glorious sunshine we are having. It was my husband, Geoff’s birthday a few days ago and we were able to sit outside with some Prosecco. His main birthday present was an outdoor wildlife camera so that we can see what comes into the garden.

We have hedgehogs and lots of birds in the garden, particularly very noisy sparrows who have fledglings they are feeding. We also had a lesser spotted woodpecker on the nuts on the bird feeder the other day and have been watching red kites and buzzards catching the thermals (we live at the top of a hill) and going so, so high! Yesterday a panicked blackbird flew so close to me his wing brushed my face!

A few photos from our garden this week are below.

Love to all

Michele x

Bonjour tout le monde ! 🌵

Another glorious day tho v windy. This morning I had my coffe outside with Chili enjoying the birdsong- v quiet as its a holiday in France today (VE day). I deadheaded a nasturtium & couldn't believe how delicious they smell - a v delicate fragrance.

The colours in your photos Lou & Michele are amazing! 🌈 We have no animal-life in our yard except snails unfortunately. It's too residential. I've already seen a couple of butterflies tho & lots of bees this year. Keep having to stop the dog from trying to catch them!

I don't have any new flower photos from my tiny garden but my best friend who lives near Tubingen in South Germany sent me this gorgeous photo yesterday. Very chocolate boxy don't you think Lou?!

Happy VE Day everyone ! Ali x

@Sunshinedaff @Anneb @NanaBubbles @Chilali1531

Hi Margy. Wow, it will be amazing if you are able to visit the UK and France. We will all have to get together and have the party to end all parties.

Oh Lou. What a beautiful garden you have, and so full of colour. What gorgeous bushes too. Do they all need trimming? -they look so neat and tidy. I would love to sit in your garden with a glass of wine and a bowl of nuts and your company too, of course. I’m not surprised the fox and deer like to visit.

Hi Michele. I love to see your lovely plants too. What a fantastic birthday present for Geoff and you will enjoy seeing the photographs too. How exciting to see a lesser spotted woodpecker. I have never seen one 😞

Hi Ali. I love agapanthus, my favourite. They grow well here but we have to wait until July before they are at their best. We have a really special café which sits in the most gorgeous gardens and we love to have afternoon tea there. Here is a pic I took there last year.

Rob xx

Good evening everyone, I hope you have all been able to enjoy a peaceful day and had the sun shining down on you. We have here, it has been scorchio!☀️

Spent the morning in the garden, with the family all helping out which was great fun. Then this afternoon we met with the neighbours, well from a distance anyway, having tea and cake together. Nothing fancy, just sat around on chairs dragged from our homes. It was very relaxing, stayed out for two hours, which is amazing really, especially as it was a first for us!

Ali, you are right, that cottage and flowers in the garden look so pretty, very chocolate box! lol, I do remember when I was younger, getting boxes of chocolates with pretty covers on them. I am looking forward to having coffee in the sun first thing in the morning! A great way to start the day.

Michele, those flowers are beautiful, is the white one a form of rhododendron? Are those primrose still blooming too? Mine have all gone, silly me I forgot I had alium bulbs underneath where I planted the primroses, so they were fighting for light and lost!! 😁 We are starting to see more birds in the garden , the babies are hatching, and mum and dad are looking for food.

Rob, I look forward to the day when we can sit and have a glass of wine together, whether it is in Jersey or here! Those agapanthus are amazing!

Have a great evening, lets hope the sun returns tomorrow!

Lou xx

Hello everyone.💖💖

Yes Rob and Lou, it is a definate that pete and i travel to the UK and positively want to spend lots of time with you💖💖it would be just so wonderful. I am trying to save for a 2022 trip.next year we are going to queensland holiday at Noosa for 3 weeks with my sister ( the one from echuca rob) and her family. We were going next monday 😢😢😢but had to cancel that with the lockdown😭😭we were so looking forward to it but next year it will be 💖

Will you be able to go to france this year lou?

Ali, you are so beautiful. I love your hair. So on trend and gorgeous 💖💖

Lou do you grow your rhodadendroms in pots. They grow like crazy here and so i have never planted one but i LOVE them. Are they easier in pots?

Our agapanthas are now dormant. I have dead headed and trimmec them for the winter. Believe it or not they are considered a Weed in australia😂😂🏵

Wow foxes lou.are they protected in the Uk. They have a bounty on their head here as they are so prolific. Isnt that terrible but the farmers hate them as they kill the little baby lambs😢😢😢so sad. We had a family in our rainforest at Batemans Bay ( we didnt kill them, we didnt tell anyone about them) the little vabies, 5 of them, were so cute and their coats were so glossy.

Well a heap of action here this weekend. Pete and beau have decided to build a staircase off our balcony into the backyard for easier access. No mean feat as it is a 10 foot drop😂😂 so i will give them dinner tonight and put them to bed.....exhausted🤣🤣

I will send a before and after shot. Still no kangeroos but i look every night.....i will get them eventualy, the sneaky things💖💖

As for me i have to cut back the daisys...by the way there are about 50 so no rest for the wicked 😂😂😂who will put me to bed 🤣🤣🤣

Well my lovlies, i hope you are all feeling well and have a great weekend in your beautiful gardens.

Talk soon

Love

Margy 💖💖💖💖💖💖

Her we go.

1. Cutting the area for gate to go in

2. Opening cut out

3. Where stairs are going

Well wekend off to a good start. 🤣🤣🤣

Good morning everyone

Well as the weather men predicted, today we have cold wind and an overcast sky! What a difference a day makes but fortunately all my seedlings are safe and sound in our little greenhouse. Our Gardening Club here in the village is doing a plant swap at the end of the month where all spare seedlings, cuttings etc can be put at the end of the drive for others in the village to take for free. Usually we hold a plant sale with tea and cakes available to raise funds for the speakers who visit us during the winter months. However, this year we obviously can’t do the same because of lockdown and we thought that it would be nice to help out others who perhaps are struggling.

VE day saw the village decorated with bunting, flags and rainbows for the NHS. Many people sat in their front gardens with tea and cake and chatted to each other from a distance. Our house is too tucked away to do that but we had a walk around the village and then had tea and cake with our immediate neighbours - at a safe distance of course. It was lovely to see other people again.

@Sunshinedaff Lou, the white blossom was on our dwarf apple tree and I have never seen so many flowers on it so perhaps it will be a good year for apples. It is one that has three different sorts of apple stems grafted onto it. The auriculas (primrose type flowers) have been spectacular and still flowering now. I think that the mild winter and wet spring have really boosted everything in the garden!

@RobertA Rob, the agapanthus photo is stunning! What a glorious display, they obviously like that place! We have a few little ones which are coming along nicely but nowhere near flowering yet.

@Chilali1531 Ali that photo your friend sent is very ‘chocolate boxy’ and I love that sort of house. We were lucky enough to do a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest a couple of years ago and went along the Rhine where we saw some very pretty villages with timber frame buildings. It was the first time we had been to Germany and we enjoyed it greatly.

@Anneb Margy I expect that the new staircase will make a big difference to your garden access but how lovely to have a balcony where you can sit and look out over your pretty garden. The stone wall you have is similar to the stone our house is built from which is a type of sandstone so you can see shells embedded in it sometimes.

Geoff has requested a traditional Sunday lunch roast beef today so had better get on with veg prep. Enjoy your Sunday everybody!

Love

Michele x

edited May 10

Good afternoon everyone,

Hope you are all having a peaceful Sunday. We haven't got the wintery weather as predicted. It is overcast and windy, but it is very warm still. No gardening yet for me. We were all out in it on Friday and yesterday. I think Mark is exhausted! He fixed the rose arbor that fell down in the last storm, finally got it back up with some new bamboo poles. ( Not the thin ones..lol).

So I am pleased to report, I have one cucumber sprouting, I think the weeds are actually Basil, haha, two marigolds ( think the other seeds went on strike). The tomato plants are reviving and growing! Potted some sunflowers now, and started a few more seeds going.

Still waiting to see if the 'weeds' are oregano, Dianthus and bizzy lizzy!!

Got loads of blackcurrants growing..yum. Need to watch the blackbirds and others don't get those, cheeky things.

We are getting a few more bird varieties now, blue tits are emerging. Oh and I think Charlie might have found the magpie nest, not that he could get near it. I could hear the noise from inside, immediately thought oh-oh! Called him in, he came running, funnily the magpies stopped squawking. He is a monkey!

Margy, not surprised Pete and Beau are exhausted. You are doing so many home improvements! I love your patio too. Oh to be having morning coffee looking out at that beautiful view!

The azaleas are in pots, the rhododendrons are in the flower beds. We didn't plant those. They are everywhere around where we live, almost in every garden.

Michele, Sunday roast sounds yum!! We are having roast lamb, I need to get that going now too! Hope you enjoyed yours!

Have a lovely afternoon everyone, chat soon.

Lou 😄

Hello everyone,

It is monday morning here and just going to start getting ready for work. Another big weekend of building. Yes lou front almost finished, just tidying up. Staircase going well and the boys are glad it is a work day so they can have a rest 😂😂😂

I am going to try the rhododendrons in a big pot. They are glorious lou.i will send you photos after going to buy one next weekend, if i can find a beautiful colour.

Yes Michelle i am sitting on the balcony now with a cuppa, my morning ritual and just love the garden and view. We feel very lucky to have found our home which we love. Autumn has really arrived so loosing the leaves on our rather large trees. So much racking up of leaves though.we have a lot of stone walls in our garden.we love them.

It was mothers day yesterday. I was very spoit and i love my boys to pieces. Pete bought me a new pot and a Birds Nest for the balcony.

Beau bought me a beautiful handbag, purse, perfume and candles. I am a very lucky girl to have my husband and son. They treat me like Dresden china 💖everyday with them is like mothers day.

Well i had better go and ready myself for work. It takes a lot longer these days 🤣🤣🤣🤣

A few pics of the progress💖💖

My new birds nest from pete

My mothers day presents fron beau.

The front driveway finished

Michelle this is one of the rock walls in our garden💖

Love and hugs to you all

Stay safe and well 💖💖💖

Love margy 🏵🌹🌸💐🏵🌷⚘💖💖💖

@Anneb

Crumbs Margy, the men in your life are pretty special are they not.

I think Mary would happily exchange me for a man who can DIY as I am hopeless. I blame my Dad as he used to say that doing DIY was depriving people of their livelihood. 😁

Rob ☀️😎 xx

@RobertA @Anneb

Wow. Margy! How quick is that going up? Pete and Beau work like Trojans! The driveway looks great too.

Just a thought if you are having steps put in for the patio, how did you get down before?Through the front/back door?😀

Lovely Mother's Day gifts too, I don't know why we have our different to most of the rest of the world though!

I don't think Mary would exchange you Rob! Not for a minute! You are keeping those who can employed!😀

Lou xx

Good evening everyone,

Had some help today in the garden, it's been a beautiful day, the temperature rose and this afternoon it was very warm.

Ready for planting.

Some plants in!

Also transferred the tomatoes into a trough, and put some plants in the back garden.

These are my strawberries and blackcurrants....

More fun tomorrow!

😄

Lou x

@Sunshinedaff

Haha, busy as always I see Lou.

I painted a wall today. 🏆 Then I cleaned a chandelier -well, a sort of chandelier. Half of the glass bobbles fell off and I had a horrible job trying to find out which one went where. Boy, did I need a beer after that, but there were only two in the fridge and Mary broke both bottles when the shelf collapsed. I didn’t dare ask what happened and settled for a sugar free lemon and lime. 🧃

Cheers

Rob 😉x

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA @Anneb

Goodness me, what a hive of industry going on!

Well done Rob for the wall and the chandelier! What a fiddle for you!

You too Lou! I love your pots which will be amazing in just a few weeks with all the new plants in them! I particularly like your two tier basket planter and the strawberry plants in tiers. I had to buy some new ones in order to replace ones which didn’t make it over the winter - too wet I think! Anyway, I replanted where the gaps in the pots were and now I have no idea which sort are which!

Margy, your Mother’s Day gifts are fab and all your alterations are terrific. You won’t know yourself when it is all finished! A good time of year to get it done, I think.

Geoff has commissioned his wildlife camera in the garden and had photos of at least 2 hedgehogs, a squirrel, and A very peculiar sort of animal who was putting out the washing! A star role! It has been quite a cool wind here so haven’t spent much time outside.

Love to all

Michele x

edited May 13

@RobertA @NanaBubbles @Anneb @Chilali1531

Good evening all, except morning Margy!😀

Another lovely day here, but windy, and cold when the sun was covered, but mostly warm.

Rob, I had a chuckle when you told about cleaning the chandelier, I was instantly reminded of Only Fools and Horses, when they had that job! So hilarious 😂. I am sure you didn't have any mishaps, haha.

Thank you Michele, I am hoping to get a good crop of strawberries this year. I managed to root several new plants over winter, even saving them from when they were all thrown across the garden during one of the storms! I have done that myself, muddled up varieties! Mark is going to get me another tierred planter stand as one lots of strawberries is on the grass, and I have the tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweetcorn (if they ever show their face 😁) to come out of the greenhouse.

The two-tier one has some trailing in the top, just waiting for some others to arrive.

I hear the garden centres opened today, can't imagine what the queues were like, I won't be going myself. One of our local ones is going to do click and collect too I believe.

Today, we were clearing grass that had grown over some of the pebbles that go around the edge of the lawn. Near the patio area it is completely up to the paving. Not a good job, and a thankless one really. We didn't arrange it that way. My fingers are quite painful as I gave my gloves to the girls to use, to save their nail polished fingers..haha. More of that tomorrow, I figured it was a good activity for them to do during lockdown, especially as it gets them out of their respective heads!

Hope you all have a peaceful evening,

Chat soon,

Lou xx