Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

Good morning

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Cancer Coffee Break
Just wanted to say good morning to everyone. Whatever you have on today, may it go well. We may not always feel good (definitely not!), but I do believe there is good in every day. Sometimes we have to look quite hard for it, but it will be there. Today, if you are facing chemo, surgery or anything else, be brave, take courage, you can do this. I hope you will find a smiling face, kindness, and hope (always hope). It is absolutely chucking it down where I am, but the sun is still shining, I just can't see it. Chat later...Lou 😊x

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Lou

What a lovely positive post. Sorry I did not see it yesterday, I actually had a great day - lunch with a friend, a long chat and afternoon tea. Cancer (and Brexit) took a back seat, replaced by football, cricket and Christmas in that order. 

I wonder what others do to stay positive and have a good day. Not always possible of course, but we do have the Community to turn to when we are having a bad day and need a hug. Rob X 
    pS Raining here too, but not cold ☔️

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RobertA

Hi Rob,

That sounds like a lovely day, very relaxing I hope. 

Tonight we attempted to do a little late night shopping, thinking lots of places would be open til 9, but no, only Marks. Ended up taking a drive to see the Winter Wonderland Tree walk in town, it does look pretty, with all the lights. I am a bit of a child with Christmas lights, I love to see them!

Since I finished treatment I decided to get fit (try to), now I belong to our local leisure centre and I go swimming or do an aqua class almost every day. I love it, wish I had done it years ago. I am meeting new people which is great, and I know it really helps with my mental health. 
    I agree it is great to be able to come on here and just chat about anything really. It's a good place to know there are others who just 'get it'.

Enjoy your evening

Lou x
  • RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou
    Good to hear from you. 
    I think the swimming and aqua class sound great, though I am not a water lover myself. 
    Meeting new people with similar interests is very beneficial too. I have found that some of my old friends are not so comfortable around me as they used to be. One problem is that I don't drink alcohol any more so I can't drink six pints and then head off to the chippy or Indian at 11.00pm with them. 
    The medical people told me that my treatment would cause me to put on weight, lose muscle and potentially be vulnerable to osteoporosis.  As I am probably a bit vain😀 the weight gain and muscle loss were not what I wanted to hear so I gave up alcohol, took up weight training and lots of walking.  Ironically, I am now fitter and slimmer than I was before cancer, so it's not all bad. 
    I found that the medical people here are very good at keeping me alive but not so hot at talking about the physical and mental side effects that a cancer diagnosis always brings.  I was fine at first, but after a few months, I started to feel kind of lonely and despondent, even around family. I think they thought I was afraid of dying, but it wasn't that at all and I eventually went to MacMillans  who provided me with a counsellor and lots of love and understanding. 
    I hope that this group will expand and that more people will join in and get involved. As you rightly say, it is good to be in a group of people who 'get it'. 

Rob x
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RobertA

Hi Rob,
    I know what you mean, feeling fitter now than before cancer. I feel the same way. It's really good to embrace life, I feel like I've been given a second chance, I don't want to waste it.
    So glad you were able to get some support from Macmillan and that counselling has helped. 
    I am noticing more new names on here each day which is great, so hopefully we will get to know others also.

Lou x