Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Diagnosis & Appointments

AliceInWonderlandAliceInWonderland Posts: 1

Hi everyone. My username is AliceInWonderland because my whole family is a little mad and wonderfully weird. Also its my favourite movie. I am a young woman with three beautiful children aged 14, 11 and 6.

I was diagnosed with stage 4 Colon cancer last October after presenting myself to the A&E department with severe abdominal pain. My symptoms were apparent for at least 3 years prior to this but because of my age, they were often dismissed as constipation, stress, depression, UTI's etc. After emergency surgery to remove the large tumor from my bowel, I was told that unfortunately the bowel had already been perferated and that the cancer had spread to my stomach lining (peritoneum) and my liver. My prognosis was bleak and I was told that I have a 60% chance of living the next 3 years and a 6% chance of making it to 5 years. I was also told that there is a very high end operation that can be done but because of the large amount of disease in me I would not be suitable for it.

Since then I have been put on a heavy regime of 12 rounds of chemo which includes the new genetic specific chemo called Vectibix. After round 6 my tumor markers had fallen from 63 to 4.8 and my oncologist submitted a new application for the surgery to be done. I have now been called in for a laparoscomy so that the surgeon can make a more informed decision on if the surgery can be done.

This is all very positive news for me and I am hoping to get a lot more than 3 years with my precious babies.

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,175 mod

@AliceInWonderland

Good afternoon

I am so sorry to hear your story. It must be so disappointing to know that your symptoms were dismissed for so long.

It is good to hear that the new chemo has worked so well and I do hope that you will now prove suitable for surgery.

When I was diagnosed with cancer three years ago, I was told that I had a 70% chance of another five years. The advance of new treatment options has changed that around completely. I do believe that new cancer treatments are being discovered very quickly these days and I wish you all the best.

I do hope that you will keep in touch and let us know how you get on. This is a friendly group of people and we are here to chat and to support one another in any way we can.

Rob x

• LaraLara Posts: 3

@AliceInWonderland

Hi, I am also a younger mother with colorectal cancer. I am so sorry to hear of your prognosis, but it's incredibly inspiring to hear of your progress since going on the new chemo treatment. You come across as a very positive person in your text, and I imagine this is helping you in your recovery. I am hoping so much for you to have a full recovery and that you have an amazing, healthy and long life with your three children. My daughter is almost 2. I was about to start trying for our second child, when I got my diagnosis. Now i am told I will unlikely have any more children due to the damage from the chemoradiation, so I am so grateful to have my wonderful daughter.

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@AliceInWonderland

Good morning,

I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to our community. I love your profile name, it just brings a smile to my face, I can understand why you chose it! 😀

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, especially after having suffered unexplained symptoms for some time. There is nothing to compare with the shock of a cancer diagnosis, my heart goes out to you with having a young family to think about at the same time as treatment and operations. It is very positive to hear the chemo is having a positive effect on the tumor, and I hope that the laparoscopy will show you are eligible for surgery. I hope you get that appointment through soon. You sound positive and determined which is brilliant and I believe it is important to face cancer this way. Having that positive mindset will help as you go through tough times with treatment and hopefully surgery. You will find tons of support here, anytime you feel like a chat or you have questions, that someone may be able to answer, please get in touch. Everyone is very friendly, we all understand, even if the cancer is different, how tough it is, and how it can impact you in every way.

I hope you are managing ok during this time, having to home school children isn't easy for anybody having to do it, plus having the lack of freedom to go out is difficult.

I have tagged you in a Q&A discussion, happening tomorrow evening. I appreciate the timings may not be good with children routines etc, but I am sure if you had a question you can post it and Liz will answer it anyway.

I hope you have a good day,

Lou x