Home Cancer Forum Cancer Coffee Break

Recipe ideas....

SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just prior to the COVID19 lockdown we found the supermarkets being decimated of staple food products that we all probably thought would remain available. Certain items like flour, pasta, tinned products just vanished from the shelves as if it was gold bullion going free. Slowly the supermarkets are managing to re stock the shelves, with some continued rationing, but hopefully, some of these items will become more widely available soon,

I have read so many posts online these last few weeks seeing many and varied recipes people are trying out, some experienced cooks and bakers, others newbies having a go.

Thought it would be a lovely idea to share some recipes here in the community, with photos if you like! How are you managing to eat well during this time? Eating and drinking whilst going through cancer treatment can be very difficult in 'normal' circumstances, if you are currently in this position, often being in the kitchen is the last thing you want to be doing. Others may be in recovery still, and adjusting to life post-cancer.

Are you finding baking or cooking to be a new hobby/interest for you whilst being confined? Share a favourite recipe, a new recipe, or even a new cooking venture you have discovered since being in lockdown!

Looking forward to seeing what every one has been doing!

Ready..steady...cook/bake!😀

Lou x

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of my favourites...

At this time of year I love to bake hot cross buns, I have been using the same recipe for many years, the only thing I don't do is put a pastry cross on top, I just score them with a knife in the final prove.

I found another recipe in a bread maker manual, which I have adapted to make it more like my original recipe. You don't need a bread maker to make these, they can be done by hand and proved in a warm place (airing cupboard, warm space above oven etc). I will post both recipes.

The first one is from my first ever cook book I was given in the 1970's, it is my favourite 'go to' book, as I have learned and gained experience I have adapted recipes all over the place to try different things.

The following are pics in stages of prep and baking..

Dough proved, ready to be divided equally...

Final prove done, ready for baking...

All done! They smell divine and taste great! Haha!

We like them to be spicy do I am extra generous with the spices, cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg.

Lou x

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 62 mod

@Sunshinedaff

Oh Lou, I can almost smell those hot cross buns. 😛

I'm afraid I did not marry Mary for her cooking and we are lucky in some ways as a local hotel group are cooking lovely dinners, freezing them and delivering too. Most of the dinners are just £5.50 each and they are absolutely delicious. We have ordered a week's supply of different ones and it is lasagne with a cheese topping and garlic bread tonight. Oh, and a bottle of Shiraz.

Don't tell Mary what I said, but these dinners are a real treat. 😂

Rob xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

Hope you have had a good day, it's been a scorcher here again! Beautiful!

I think it is fantastic the local hotel group are able to still run some business and provide some meals. Takes the pressure off Mary too!

We stepped outside again tonight to clap for keyworkers, it is becoming quite a social time, from a distance! I take a saucepan and spoon with me now to bang on! 😄

Hope you have a good evening,

Lou xx

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 62 mod

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

None of our neighbours come out to clap for key workers. They are a pretty miserable lot to be honest, but they don’t bother us either so that’s OK.

Our medical people are great. I have had phone calls from several different Hospital departments in the last couple of weeks, just to see if I am OK. It is humbling.

We are going to risk the local supermarket in the morning - well Mary is. I stooge around outside and help with the bags when she emerges. We need Easter eggs and wine. Lots of both. Well, it is Easter, even if it doesn’t feel like it.

Rob xx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 592 mod

What a gorgeous day it is here in the south! 😎☀️

A friend just told me they were going to sit in their garden and enjoy some ice cream! 😀

That made me smile, I love ice-cream.

I was thinking, just for fun, frivolous, what is your favourite?

Mine is strawberry. Although I love all the others too, lol, this is the flavour I would pick first!

Oh except for sorbet (any flavour), now that is absolutely my fave!!

Come on then...lets hear them...😁

Lou 🍡🍦

@Chilali1531

Hi Ali,

I hope your day has gone well,

I just wanted to tag you here, as I wondered if you had any brilliant French recipes you could share with us, when you felt up to it?

Seeing some of your lovely recipes I could pretend I was sitting in France!

Lou xx😁

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Here are a few of my favourites.

Mint chic chip, strawberry ripple, vanilla,chocolate, banana, caramel nut cluster, honeycomb, pistachio, raspberry ripple, Neapolitan, mint, frutti tutti, butterscotch, banana, maple, dulce de Leche, hazelnut, 99.

Mmm.

Rob xx

@RobertA

Delicious!!😂😂

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou & Rob

Talking of ice cream which I love ( my favourite has to be cassis sorbet ...) I once tasted Roquefort flavoured ice cream in a cheese restaurant in Paris. Whilst I love the cheese, I would not recommend the ice cream ! Weird ...

In our household it's mostly my husband Peter who cooks. He's Puerto Rican-American so I wouldn't say our diet is very French. But he makes a very nice lentil casserole with saucisse de Toulouse so I'll find the recipe & post it.

French onion soup is another favourite he makes. Both these are great when you don't have much taste & suffering from "cold mouth & tongue" side effects.

And of course you can't beat a really good pain au chocolat ( or chocolatine as the Toulousains say) with a double expresso - Saturday's treat!

Bye for now - Ali x

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531

Oh Ali, how lovely to have a husband who cooks. I’m afraid that neither Mary nor I are cooks though Mary watches the cooking programmes on TV but then she goes to M&S. 😂

We love eating out, though we can’t do that at the moment of course. We love French food too and I really enjoy pain au chocolat but it is never as good here as it is in France.

We go to a little resort in Brittany called, Damgan which is a 2 hour drive from St Malo. We stay at a lovely friendly hotel called L’Albatros and cycle along the seafront and around the little lanes. I am allergic to seafood which they know, but one evening they gave us bread rolls with anchovy pieces in them. I knew something was wrong as soon as it was in my mouth and I spat it out and rushed to the gents to wash my mouth out. 🤢I was pretty dizzy, but luckily got away with it. They were mortified and gave us a bottle of Bordeaux and we all had a laugh about it. I actually have to be really careful when in France and also in Spain because no one really believes that anyone can possibly be allergic to seafood.

This is Damgan.

Rob x

@RobertA @Chilali1531

Good morning 😄

Ali I look forward to seeing those recipes, they both sound delicious! I love French Onion soup! 😋.

Cassis sorbet!! 😋😋

Rob, your stories always make me laugh! Even though it wasn't funny at the time! But I expect the Bordeaux was lovely!! 😄

Lovely photo of Damgan, Brittany is a lovely part of France, we have very happy memories of our time there.

Lou xx

Morming from sunny Toulouse !

Yes I love Brittany, spent lots of childhood holidays there. It must be v hard not to be able to eat seafood- poor you ! After all that talk of ice cream I sent my husband out to get sime ( strawberry !) . Here's a pic of Toulouse, recipes coming shortly.

A bientôt Ali🍧

Ohhh, they are beautiful photos Ali!

Brings back memories for me!! 😄

Hope you are having a good day. It's a scorching one here.

Lou xx

@Chilali1531

Oooh, beautiful. Trust you enjoyed the ice cream too.

Rob x

Hi Lou

You asked me for a few French recipes so I've had a think & am posting 3 which are easy to make. I'm not a passionate cook tho enjoy it more now than when the kids were little - more time I guess. I've found I need to eat things with a strong taste during chemo.

~ ~ ~

French onion soup

4 people

3 big onions, 40g butter, 3 tbsp flour, 1L stock, salt, pepper, dash of Cognac (optional).

In a big pan, soften onions in butter ( if they start to go brown add a bit of water). When soft, mix in flour leaving no lumps. Add stock. Leave on low heat for approx 20".Salt, pepper as required. Before serving, toast some bits of bread , add grated cheese, & put on top of soup ( in bowls). Grill for a few minutes till cheese has melted. Serve.

~ ~ ~

Lentil & Toulouse sausage casserole

4 people

Green Lentils 60g/person , 2 onions, 4 carrots, stick of celery, sausage ( can use any , 1 per person), 2 cloves garlic, sage, salt, pepper, stock ( enough to cover everything in pot by 2-3cm), olive oil.

In a large saucepan fry onions, garlic, sliced celery in oil. Add sausages (cut into pieces if preferred). Slice carrots, parboil, then add to pan. Rinse lentils & add to pan. Mix. Add hot stock, sage, salt & pepper. Simmer on low heat for approx 30-40".

~ ~ ~

Chicken, olive, lemon, potato Tajine

Tajines are not strictly French but are very popular due to the large North African community in France. You don't need a special Tajine dish to make them.

4 people

4 chicken drumsticks, 2 large onions sliced, 3 large potatoes, approx 20 green olives, 1 large lemon, 1-2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground ginger, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp ground coriander ( or fresh chopped), 1 chicken stock cube, olive oil, a little cornflower for thickening sauce.

In a large pan ( or tajine dish), soften onions in oil. Add chicken & brown it. Add a little water to cover. Add spices & juice of lemon. Chop potatoes into medium chunks & parboil a little. Add to pan. Mix in stock cube. After approx 20 " simmering on a low heat, add olives & cornflower (approx 1-2 tsp), mixing into sauce leaving no lumps. Simmer for a further 10-15".

You can serve this alone or with some couscous semoule.

Bon appétit !

@Chilali1531

Hi Ali,

Thank you so much for posting these, I have read through them already to see what is needed. They sound delicious. I am going to try the French Onion soup first, as I love soups!

I am looking forward to trying the others soon too!

Love your cheeky photo, Marmite, love it or hate it they say...I love it! 😂

Hope your chemo day is going well at the hospital, I will chat on another thread.

Lou xx

@Chilali1531 @LouiseJ

Hi Ali

Oh, I feel really hungry now and I have just had dinner. I will show Mary your recipes and hope for the best.😋 I will set the table and open the wine. 🍷 Haha, your photograph is wonderful and soo French.

All I will need after that is a piece (or two) of one of Lou’s cakes and a cup of tea.

à la prochaine

Rob x

Good luck with recipes - I'm not a very good cook. Love marmite on toast tho ! This photo was taken recently when I got my French natiomality - just before Brexit . Bottoms up or Culs Secs 🍷🍷🍷

Good afternoon on this scorching, brilliantly sunny afternoon.

I hope you are managing to enjoy the weather as well as stay cool .

Today I have been baking with my youngest. The other day we made scones, using a recipe we hadn't tried before. Mmmm... No! No! No! Not good. 😂

I have been looking at different recipes, and we decided to try a Paul Hollywood one. We also had a go at making Focaccia.

Here are the results....

The focaccia caught slightly, next time I will check five minutes before the end. But we tried both for lunch and they are delicious!!

I've got bolognese simmering for dinner, and we will have the bread with that to dip in! 😋😋

Cheese scones next! ( Not today though).

Have you made anything new?

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Love your scones and focaccia. They look good enough to eat. 😋😋😂🤣

My Mum used to make cheese scones. Lovely memories.

Enjoy your bolognese.

Rob xx

@RobertA .

Thank you!! Wish I could send you some!

😊🤗

Lou xx

Good morning everyone,

I hope you are all having good weeks, cannot believe it is Thursday, really, what do I do with my days??!!?😁

Well yesterday I made jam from our first crop of strawberries of the season.

I use a James Martin recipe, which mostly works out for me, sometimes I have to boil a bit longer than it says. It is really tasty though. Hoping to get more strawberries over the summer to make another batch.

Hopefully it will not be long before the blackcurrants are ready to harvest...then more jam! 😋.

@Chilali1531 , Ali, you asked about the scones.

Paul Hollywood's recipe uses 5 tsp of baking powder in addition to the eggs and milk. No wonder they rise well! My first efforts sounded like yours, they were very flat and hard. PH recipe is the best I have found, I have tried loads!!

I might make some brownies later, Phoebe is on at me about wanting to bake them. So many variations of recipes for those too!

I hope you are doing on today, will chat on the other chats in a mo.

Lou xx

Good afternoon everyone !

Thanks for the tips Lou re scones. I'll definitely throw a lot more baking powder in !!

Your jam looks amazing, love the pots - do you sell it anywhere ? I'm not sure where you find the time to do everything you do! Definitely need a superwoman statue!

Yes I have Happy memories of my mum's cheese scones too Rob. Cheese straws too. Yum !

Last week a friend brought me some home-made soup made with cress stalks! Delicious. And another made from carrot bottoms including green stalks. Amazing what you can do with throw-aways! I love that concept, making something from nothing.

Right, nap time ..

Happy cooking everyone 🍓🍒🍊

Ali Xx

Just Realised I said carrot bottoms & I meant carrot tops of course !! That's what comes of living in France so long... ha ha.

It would be interesting to know of any other good ideas for making soup etc with things we often throw away- or plants such as nettles which is supposed to be delicious !

Ali x

Hi Ali,

Hahahaha 😂😂 a statue!!

Do you mean a stone one in the garden, or one that sits on the mantelpiece?? 😄. The first one is preferable as it means I wouldn't have to dust it!! What is dusting anyway?? 😂😂

I knew what you meant with the carrots! Lol! I made watercress soup once before, it was disgusting, and that is food that gets eaten not thrown out. I was wondering about trying some of the flowers, we still have pansy's and violas, I am sure they are edible. When I was little, my friend and I would eat the stamens in fuschias, she told me they were edible. No idea if they are or not!

I have just looked it up, and found out that flowers have male and female parts!! Who knew?? I didn't!!! ( Rubbish at science, never paid attention at school).😂😂.

See become a member of LBW, and learn biology!! 😂

Mmm, yes, nettle soup, it is meant to be nice, but I can't get my head around it. Eating something so stingey.. haha.

I can imagine the carrot top soup was delicious. Lovely of your friend to do that for you. It is the little things that make a huge difference sometimes isn't it.

I hope you have a good day today,

Chat later

Lou xx

Good afternoon 😄

Today's goodies...

Lemon drizzle cake and Chocolate brownies.....made with my daughter who just loved licking out the bowl afterwards..haha. The drizzle is more of a blob, but very lemony so who cares!! 😊 🍰

We tasted one of the brownies, mmm ..mmmmm....chewy on the outside, gooey in the middle, just how we like them.

Anyone for tea and cake!! Ooh yes please!! 😂😂

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Me too. Me too.😛

Rob xx

Ooh yes I'd love some as the steroids I'm on make my hungry ! But I'm not supposed to eat sweet things with steroids so I'll just have to enjoy looking at them! 😩And they do look fab !

Ali x

Hello again !

Well I'm up with the lark again... Flippin steroids ! Already thinking about my breakfast. Peter usually goes to the nearby boulangerie for croissants on Saturday as a treat. I should probably have an egg instead... Or both!

Last night for dinner he made a mozzarella pan fried pizza which was really delicious. Not at all fatty as you might imagine. Also a huge salad with lettuce from the garden & lots of fresh basil as my tastebuds are rubbish at the moment so I need strong flavours.

Yes Lou, interesting to see which flowers are edible. I know you can eat nasturtiums but I've just found out they produce capers too. Didnt know that !

Lemon drizzle is one of my favourite cakes... Brownies not so much, and bizarrely I've gone off chocolate since I've had Leukaemia. Probably a good thing ! Oh, I still like chocolate ice cream tho .. Have you been eating any lately Rob ?!

Raining here today, definitely need those croissants !☕️

Hapoy munching everyone 🍰🍪🍧

Ali Xx

@Chilali1531

Hi Ali,

I meant to say how lovely that pizza looked. I have never made homemade pizza base, well not since my catering college days!

The cake and brownies were demolished so quickly, I made more brownies yesterday, trying a different recipe. Phoebe and I working our way through various ones, haha!

I hope the steroids have ceased temporarily so you can get some proper rest at night for a while.

Sleep well, speak soon,

Lou xx