Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Managing Day-to-day Life with Cancer

Government guidelines on Vulnerable Person

peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Before I go any further please excuse me for the tone of this message.

I have just been informed by my GP s surgery that I do not meet the criteria for being classed as a vulnerable person under the government guidance.

I have Stage four Prostate cancer, Type two diabetes. I am the primary carer for my seventy three year old partner who has chronic mobility issues and other health issues. I am under treatment on a regular basis from my local cancer hospital.

Because I don't qualify under the government guidelines I can not go to the supermarket during the hour set aside for vulnerable people.

This means waiting in a queue for up to two hours to try and purchase essential items for my partner and myself.

Feeling a little angry and frustrated.

Sorry for the tone of this post, but I needed to get this out of my system.

Best wishes to everyone, stay safe.

Comments

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@peter63

Good morning Peter,

I am so sorry to hear you and your wife have fallen through the holes of this 'vulnerable' criteria. I think there are many like yourself who have found themselves in this situation. No need to apologise for expressing how you feel. It is very frustrating, you try and do the right thing, but find you can't.

Last night there was a webinar with Tamara, Liz and Karin concerning cancer and coronavirus. Liz explained in more detail how the 'vulnerable' listing was compiled. @LizzyB73 .

Do you have anyone local to you who could help you, I understand you are very able and don't necessarily require 'help' but if it meant you weren't risking bringing the virus home with you to your wife, it may be better to do? Getting a home delivery slot is very difficult now, even for those people on the list it seems.

I do hope you have a better day today and can actually get the things you require.

Take care,

Lou x

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi Louise J,

Thanks for the kind comments.

My major concern is that my consultant has said that because of the medication I am taking if I was to contract the virus I would become very seriously ill. My wife and myself are trying hard to look at alternative arrangements we may have to make.

Hope you are keeping well and safe, best wishes for the future xxx

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 678 mod

@peter63

Hi Peter,

I was just wondering if your consultant could provide the necessary registration or contact your GP to get them to do it, if he considers you to be at risk should you contract the virus? Perhaps contacting your consultant/secretary to check this out?

I know Rob is in isolation too, (@RobertA ), Rob did you receive a notification?

I mentioned to Sue in another chat about local churches working together with local councils to ensure the people were getting the support they need. This may also be another route you could try?

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,174 mod

@LouiseJ @peter63

Good evening friends.

My goodness Peter. What else do you need to have to be classed as a vulnerable person? I am classed as a vulnerable person here, but Jersey has its own administration and I have been classified locally so the criteria may be different.

We are particularly fortunate because we have good neighbours who have offered to do our shopping for us though at the moment, Mary is insisting on doing it herself. Our local MacMillan Cancer Support are linking people living with cancer with volunteers and it may be worth giving them a call if you have one locally.

Good luck.

Rob

Hi Rob A,

Hope you are keeping well and managing OK in these troubled time's.

I was a little surprised to say the least when my GP said that I didn't meet the governments criteria, but I've moved on and let it go.

Had a very useful session with my therapist yesterday via a video link, she helped me move through some emotional issues.

Hope you and your family stay well and safe, best wishes

Peter

• blankazsanna5blankazsanna5 Posts: 20 ✭✭

Hi @peter63,

So glad to hear your session went well yesterday. I'm about to have a talk with my counsellor this week as well (I have anxiety, which is over the roof in the current situation), I'm looking forward to it.

I have just checked some online grocery shopping opportunities and it seems Coop has slots available - although not all over the UK, but definitely worth checking. They restrict it to 20 items per order at the moment. Tesco is also adding new slots throughout the day nationwide!

As @LouiseJ mentioned, local churches might be a great idea, I'm volunteering with a church over here in London and we're helping lots of people with groceries & other errands. :)

I also just wanted to link the webinar Lou mentioned. We've covered lots of topics, including shopping for essentials. You might find it useful.

Stay safe,

Blanka x

Hi Blanka,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement today.

My therapist is an absolute gem, not sure how I'd survive without her.

Trying to stay positive but sometimes it's very hard.

Best wishes and take care, big hugs

Regards Peter

@peter63 @blankazsanna5 @LouiseJ

Good evening all

It is good to hear that you were able to see your therapist by video link Peter. Will you be able to see your Counsellor by video link too Blanka? Thank goodness for modern technology. My Counsellor is invaluable to me and I love having her in my corner. It is great to know that depression and anxiety are better recognised and understood these days. I firmly believe that the service provided by therapists/counsellors are invaluable for our health and wellbeing and even more so in these trying times.

Keep safe and well.

Rob

Hi everyone,

Further update.

Today I actually received the letter stating that yes I am vulnerable to the effects of the virus.

This may help with organising shopping delivery and medication. Thanks for the support and kind words.

Take care and best wishes everyone, stay safe and well,

Regards Peter xxxx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter63

Hi Peter,

That is good news for you, I am really pleased. I hope it now means you can get some priority slots to get the things you need.

I've been told by several people I should be on the vulnerable list! Lol! Who knows! Just weighing up whether to bother calling GP or not.

Stay safe and best wishes to you and your wife.

Lou x

Hi Lou,

Might be worth giving your GP a ring,

Take care, stay safe xxxx

@peter63 @Sunshinedaff

Hi Peter

I am delighted to hear that you are on the list. Hope it makes a difference for you.

Hi Lou

I would if I were you. You have so much going on and anything which makes you safer is worth looking into.

I have an appointment with my doctor for a blood test on Monday. I was going to postpone it but I came off the ADT last October and doctor said we need to know what effect that may have had. I am not really keen to go to the surgery but he knows best.

Keep safe and well.

Rob xx

• SusanW60SusanW60 Posts: 13

Hi Peter

I hope that being on the shielded list has helped you to obtain the assistance you need.

In the words of Dad's Army I too am on "the list" and to be frank was pretty shocked at first because of the implications.

It's not a list anyone wants to be on! Rather bemused too because I had my regular check up with my consultant at the start of March. Coronavirus was just creeping over the horizon so I did just ask whether it would have any implications for me. More in terms of cancellation of any appointments in April really. He just about resisted the urge to roll his eyes at me and declared there "was a lot of hype" around it and that it was ridiculous to talk about closing schools etc! He's new to me and I haven't quite worked him out yet! Not sure how I'm going to feel about him going forward!

Hope there are community services in your area to help you get necessary supplies etc.

Best wishes to you. Keep well and keep safe in these difficult days,

Suex

H

Hi Susan,

My consultant was very clear at my last consultation that Covid_19 did pose a few issues in relation to my ongoing issues.

We have been exploring various options for the future.

I send you best wishes and hope you stay safe and well, Regards Peter

• GarethGareth Posts: 1

Hi Peter, I am new to this forum. I have been living with advanced Metastatic Prostate Cancer since 2016. Like you I have type 2 diabetes. Also like you I was not given a letter from the government. I discovered that in England (not Wales) I could apply on the Gov.uk web site to be added to the National vulnerable list. I applied mid April. I was accepted, although the web site doesn’t let you know if you are or aren’t successful. After two weeks, all the supermarkets with which I had already registered sent me emails telling me I could have priority deliveries. I suggest you register now with the supermarkets from which you want deliveries. At the same time apply at Gov.uk.

Also I have registered with my local authority and they offer a variety of support.

i am amazed and so grateful to the support networks that out there for folk like me.

regards

gareth

Hi Gareth,

Welcome to this brilliant source of support and information.

I was also diagnosed in 2016, Stage 4 with spread to right hip and pelvis, spine and nodes in my lungs.

I did eventually receive the letter from my GP, and then received one from my oncology consultant.

Following this I was allocated a regular delivery slot from a supermarket.

Take care and best wishes for the future,

Regards Peter