Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

On Line Shopping Customers

indigostarindigostar Posts: 2

Hi everyone. I have just joined the discussion forum. I am perplexed! I have terminal cancer, I received the official Government letter identifying me as one of the estimated 1.5 million 'at risk' people. I have shopped on-line for years as a Home Delivery customer, due to pre-existing physical disabilities, which the Supermarket (Sainsburys) are aware of. I have been advised by said Supermarket that I am not on their 'identified customer list' and my details have not been identified on the Government's official data list. Can anyone else identify with this problem? I feel cancer has removed many things from my 'list of things to do in life', and now a supermarket I have shopped with for years has now removed my shopping list! If anyone can help with advice I would be very grateful. Once I have fed myself I will pull myself together and hopefully be able to offer help and support to others. Thank you.

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@indigostar

Hi there

I am so sorry to hear your story.

I do not live in the UK so I do not know how your system works, but it sounds like an administrative error to me.

Are you able to scan your Government letter and email it to Sainsburys?

Alternatively, can you respond to the Government letter and ask them to contact Sainsburys?

I am pleased that you have found us. This is a friendly and caring community and we are here to support and chat to one another. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Rob

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 601 mod

@indigostar

Hi , I am really sorry too to hear of your difficulty obtaining a shopping slot, it is so very difficult at the moment.

BUT, I read something this morning which might help you. If you go to the govt website register, you need your nhs no, and this should enable you to access a slot.

I will try and post the link here, I read it in one of the newspapers.

I hope this works, please let me know, hopefully others who need this can access it also.

Take care,

Lou x

• SusanW60SusanW60 Posts: 13

Hello

I'm sorry you are having trouble with getting an online shop. Like you I also received the NHS letter recommending not leaving the house at all for 12 weeks! I'm really not sure how we are meant to advise the supermarkets that we are in this particularly vulnerable group as its impossible to get through kn the phone. As I understand it the supermarkets will have access to the government database and will check the list against their information of registered customers and will then contact us! Maybe this will work but I'm pretty doubtful tbh.

Have you anyone that can get supplies in for you? Maybe once the system is up and running we will be matched with a volunteer locally that can help. Do you have anyone that could pick up a click and collect order for you? Tesco release these slots on the stroke of midnight!!

I do hope you can get something sorted out. These are very anxious times indeed. Jusf feel in a state of shock as this all unfolds daily.

Best wishes

Sue

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning,

Well last night I stayed up late to try and secure a delivery slot for the 18 th April. I had everything ready in my basket to check out. Bang on midnight I saw the date change over, but IMMEDIATELY there were no slots available. I did however manage to secure a click and collect slot, but I am unsure how it works in practice ie when it comes to fetching the order? Lol!

I tested the link from my other post above. It does work, you can enter your own details or the details of someone you live with.

I think there must be a mismatch between the govt/nhs letters being sent out and what the supermarkets are seeing, plus I think it is taking a long time for all the notifications to be sent out obviously.

Sue @SusanW60 , @indigostar , I hope you both manage to sort something out soon.

If I get anymore information I will let you know. I am going to try and call the Tesco store I use to find out.

Wishing you all a peaceful Sunday.

Lou x

Hello Lou

Hope you're having a peaceful Sunday.

I had the same experience as you with the midnight thing! I dont think the delivery slots are even being generally released just the click and collect ones and they don't hang around long either. I'm assuming that the collection will be very carefully monitored as regards social distancing.

My son says he has a collection yo make this afternoon and will let me know how that goes.We thought about trying to share slots etc but then that would mean driving around to each other which doesn't seem to be the thing to do either!

My husband decided to quarantine with me for the twelve weeks as I have unfortunately been told to stay in the house and not leave at all as I have a blood cancer. I think he may have to break that promise in the end though if deliveries are unavailable!

Find it difficult under normal circumstances to ask anyone for assistance anyway and now you feel you're asking someone go put themselves in harm's way for a loaf of bread!

Looking for the positives in all this and I think there will be some, but dark days indeed

Keep well

Suex

@SusanW60

Hi Sue,

I hope your son managed to get his order ok yesterday.

It is very difficult, I understand, especially if you are both needing to self-isolate. It is hard to ask for help when we need to as we wouldn't want anyone else putting themselves at risk too.

I hope though that in your community you would find some support. Where we live, one of the local churches has become a hub for accessing information and help. The local council are joining forces with them to ensure vulnerable people are not being left without help.

Do you have anything like that near you?

I hope you have had a good day.

Take care,

Lou x

Hello Lou

Hope you and your family are keeping well.

My son said the click and collect worked really well.Only took a moment and social distancing observed! Probably ly quite a good option if you can get a slot!

You're right that locally churches and the council are joining forces to assist the elderly and vulnerable.

Another concern I have is for my 88 year old auntie who lives a few miles from me. She has slight memory loss and relies very much on her regular activities to keep her steady so to speak. She is finding the isolation very difficult but is still going out shopping and driving to Tescos! She is a law unto herself and is stubbornly independent. I registered her with the local community help group yesterday and have already received a text from a lady who will call her and offer assistance. Pretty sure she will refuse any help but at least she will be on their radar and they will call her periodically to check that she is well.

Oh and I actually managed to get a Tesco delivery slot for 20 April late last night so maybe things are settling down and they're managing to increase the service!

Have a good day.

Suex

@SusanW60

Hi Sue,

I was very glad to hear that someone will be keeping an eye on your auntie, even though she is very independent. I know the elderly are fiercely protective of their independence, but sometimes for their own welfare someone should step in. I hope she accepts the help, bless her.

Great you were able to secure a delivery slot at long last, I will check mine tomorrow, for Saturday, to see if it has been decimated, which it has been on previous weeks.

We are doing ok thank you, finding things to do, although I always have a list a mile long! Taken it a bit easier today, not feeling so great, probably tiredness is all.

I hope you are ok,

Chat soon,

Lou x

• RozaliaRozalia Posts: 4

What a nightmare. The supermarkets all boost on their sites of how they are helping the extremely vulnerable but as I know from my experience and from the posts here many many people are getting no joy and being forced out to shop.

I managed to get an Iceland slot but Waitrose where i have a memebers card I recieve no joy. Ocado, who i use less frequently especially in recent years , have me on their customer list but again n joy.

Could LiveBetterWith pass on the concerns to Government that their sheildomng strategey is not working because we can't access the online services. The odd charity bag of food is very nice, although i have only just had a phone call regarding this but it is not the solution and doesn't serve full needs.

Good luck to everyone.

Rozalia

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have experienced the same difficulties with trying to book delivery slots despite receiving the NHS letter confirming my vulnerability status. Finally managed to contact Sainsburys and spoke to a very helpful person. She said that the names of the vulnerable people where slowly being provided by the Government and that people would be contacted in due time.

It really does seem to be taking a lot of sorting out and is causing considerable stress and worries. We managed to secure one click and collect slot with Asda, so I will still have to go and collect, but I suppose it's better than nothing..

Take care and best wishes to everyone, stay safe xxxx

Hi everyone

Today I received a second letter of extreme vulnerability from the NHS, this one actually had the name of my oncology consultant on it.

Within an hour of receiving the letter I received an email from one of the large supermarket chains giving me a priority pass to book delivery slots. This also allows the function to request the same slot on a weekly basis for the foreseeable future.

I can only presume that the system is starting to catch up with people.

Take care and stay safe, big virtual hugs and kisses

Regards Peter

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 320 Community Admin
    edited April 17

Hi @peter63,

That's fantastic news. Finally! Hope you're staying safe and ready for the weekend. :)

Hi Everyone, I also just wanted to add that Aldi is now offering deliveries too! They're doing food parcels too for £24.99 with all the essential grocery items. I haven't tried it myself, but checked and they have delivery slots available!

Here's the information:

Hope you're all staying well x

Hi Blanka,

Hope you are keeping well and staying safe.

Myself and my wife are going on reasonably well, we are managing our self isolation OK, hopefully now I won't have to run the risk of visiting the supermarket, like I did this morning.

Really hoping that you are feeling OK, big virtual hugs and kisses

Regards Peter

@Blanka_C @peter63

Good early evening! 😄

Thanks for posting that Blanka, I heard about Aldi delivering today. I will check that out. I've not been able to get a slot this week, not even click and collect.

Peter, I am so glad you received official post to clarify your situation, excellent to hear one of the supermarkets have contacted you too. Brilliant!

Hope you have a good weekend.

Lou x

Hi Sunshinedaff,

Hope you are keeping well and staying safe.

These are difficult times for us all, hope you are managing to get any help you need. Take care and stay strong, best wishes

Peter xxxx

Good morning all, a bright sunny day, yay!😁

Thanks Peter for your msg, I am pleased to say that I have been able to get a click and collect at Asda in two weeks time! I forgot to stay up late to see if I could get a Tesco slot last night, but I was up very early this morning, so checked, still nothing, thought I'd try Asda, and there it was! However even though I managed to put things in my basket, indicating they were available when I checked out they weren't. Lol!

Yesterday, I went and picked up my first click and collect from Tesco, expecting there to be queuing round the car park, but there wasn't any queuing. I was the only car there! That was a surprise. Very easy and simple. (A few weeks ago I managed to get some slots before lockdown, have one more for next weekend).

I think it is interesting what things are limited in stock though, trying to find cat food and cat litter is a real task! The other interesting thing is although pasta etc is supposedly scarce, what is available to buy is the branded stuff, at twice the price! What is missing is store branded pasta.

Anyway, enough of my musings, clearly I have been up far too long, I am rambling already! Where's the coffee?😂

Have a good day, chat soon,

Lou x

Good morning 😀

I am shocked, I just managed to get a Tesco delivery slot for mid May!! I just happened to check in, and there they were, a whole week of them! wow! But blink and you miss it, I considered changing the time, and when I went to look they were all gone!

I didn't stay up late in the small hours at the weekend to try and get one as I was just to tired. I know some say they get up at 3am to check, but if I did that, I would not go back to sleep.

Asda are pretty good too, I managed to get a click and collect in two weeks time.

Coffee calling! ☕️

Have a good day,

Lou xx