Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Therapy, how do you feel about it????

peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
edited March 19 in What's On Your Mind Today?

After a break away from seeing my psychologist due to holidays etc, I saw her on Thursday.

We had a good discussion about acceptance and acknowledging a need for being more in tune with my situation. She explained how we can find it difficult to accept that things have changed and unfortunately that they will not go back to how things used to be. We covered strategies for being more comfortable with my situation, after seeing her I had the best nights sleep in a while. Generally feeling much better and more relaxed and positive moving forward.

Just wondering if anyone else has had such positive experiences with using a therapist.

Best wishes and good luck for the future to everyone,

Regards Peter xxx

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8

@peter63

Hi Peter

As you know, I am also a huge believer in the value of therapy for people like ourselves who are living with cancer and/or its after effects. I am also delighted to know a fellow male who is prepared to talk openly about this issue as we men are often reluctant o do so. In truth, I think it is a strength and not a weakness to ask for help. I do tell people that I receive counselling and sometimes it leads to positive discussions and encourages them to seek help too.

I am so pleased that you are feeling better and more relaxed. Somehow, recognising and working within our changed status can be quite comfortable. One big bonus for me is that I no longer feel guilty about declining invitations or getting someone in to decorate a room rather than doing it myself. 😉

I still see my counsellor once a month, nearly two years after our first session. She just knows what I need from her and she has helped me to find acceptance and contentment in my changed status.

A great post Peter. Thanks for raising this issue.

Rob

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi Rob A,

Thanks for the nice comments.

I really do feel that as men we still struggle with the "stiff upper lip" syndrome. A couple of male friends have both told me to man up and get on with things.

My therapist is a wonderful source of support.

Best wishes Peter

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter63

I am disappointed to hear about your friends. Hopefully, they will never have to find out what it is like living with an incurable and debilitating disease.

Cheers

Rob

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter63

Hi Peter,

It is so good you are finding the therapy helpful. I think therapy can be a great assistance in helping to overcome obstacles in our lives or thought patterns that are detrimental to our health. Our family as a whole are undergoing therapy for a reason not related to cancer, in order to help one in the family. It is definitely making a difference, in fact I would go so far as to say a life-saving difference. We have been able to access it under the NHS. The service we are using though is so short staffed of expertise, the waiting lists are terrible, which is just awful when you are in a terrible place and need help.

I echo Rob's words in that it is great you are here and are so willing to open up and share about your therapy . It is really helpful for others here too.

I am sorry your friends lacked understanding, unfortunately it is often the case until you are faced with these situations, the understanding is very limited.

I hope you enjoyed a good weekend,

Lou x

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou, or Sunshinedaff,

Therapy has been a very positive step for me personally.

I really hope your family and yourself can continue to access the help and support you require. I think society in general struggles and holds negative views on people who undertake some form of talking therapy.

All my best wishes and hugs to you and all your family, take care

Regards Peter xxx