Home Cancer Forum Living Better With Cancer

Flowers

ShandsShands Posts: 19 ✭✭

Hello, Iv’e not been on here for a while as unfortunately had a really rough ride through the chemotherapy I had after my mastectomy for breast cancer. Lots of people have wanted to bring flowers but knew they couldn’t whilst I was on chemo.

I finished my last session of chemo nearly 3 weeks ago!! Hooray!!!! Just radiotherapy to go..... Ive been asked if I can now have flowers in the house and can’t really find out the answer to that one. Is anyone able to advise if it is okay to have them now. I do love my garden and flowers but obviously don’t want to risk any infection as I had Neutropenic Sepsis during my chemo, and another spell of extremely low white cell count.

Thank you to anyone who can help advise me on this.

Sue

Answers

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Hi Shands, it’s good to hear you’ve got through your Chemo, I personally understand how awful it is, I asked my Oncologist if I could stop after 4 sessions as I felt so bad, but I persevered to the end.

Regarding your questions re flowers, I will put up some photos of flowers I received during and after my chemo, they brought me so much joy at such a difficult time ..... please enjoys yours.

How lucky was I, flowers really do lift your spirit.

Take care,

Barbara x

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 547 mod

Morning ladies, @Shands @PositiveLady10 , 😀

Barbara they are beautiful flowers, it is lovely that you were able to enjoy them still throughout your treatment without any ill-effect form them.

I know the advice is to be careful and avoid flowers during cancer treatment, I didn't know this at the time I had my treatment though. When I was diagnosed, the house was full of them! Replaced during chemo, surgery etc. I also did the gardening in the summer post-radiotherapy (not during chemo or surgery time).

Shands I would suggest checking with your oncologist about this to be sure. If you are mindful to dispose of any wilting flowers /plants and keep water fresh preventing it stagnating will reduce any risk from this point onwards. I am not an exert though, so please do not take my word for it. Like Barbara says, I hope you can begin again to enjoy having flowers in your home and being in the garden (when the weather allows!).

We decided to have a party a year to the day of my diagnosis, called it 'Celebrating Life'. The house was filled with vases of sunflowers, my favourite flower, and others that friends bought me. They lasted for a few weeks. Beautiful to look at, especially when the sun came through the window lighting them up.

I hope you both have a great day,

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PositiveLady10 @Shands @LouiseJ

Good evening ladies

I am so pleased to know that you have finished with your chemotherapy Sue. I haven’t had chemo, but I know from community members that it is a horrible experience. I have though had radiotherapy and I think you will find it much easier to cope with.

What a good idea to post photos of your flowers Barbara. I have found a photo of some I bought for Mary a while ago. Oops, time for some more perhaps.

Rob xx

• ShandsShands Posts: 19 ✭✭

Thank you all for your advice and pics of beautiful flowers. From what I can gather think it should be safer now chemo is over, as was told definitely no flowers then. Already got some beautiful tulips on the mantelpiece! I did have some I could see through the conservatory doors in the winter which was nice but not quite the same.

Had to go for a second CT planning scan yesterday which was a bit concerning, as they said the medical team wanted it adjusted to make sure all node areas were covered by the treatment. As I’m disabled and find lying on the table in required position extremely painful, and in fact couldn’t get out of bed this morning so am concerned how I will cope with the daily sessions. Never mind onwards and upwards hopefully. Looking forward to the summer!

Really hope you are all doing okay.

Sue Xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shands

Hi Sue

The tulips sound lovely. A reminder that It will soon be Spring, my favourite time of the year after the long, dark, winter months. The days get longer, the nights get shorter, and it starts to feel warmer. I love to see the leaves on the trees turning green and the colourful new flowers springing up. Best of all, I have new hearing aids and I am looking forward to hearing the birds singing this year.

I am sorry to hear that you find it so painful lying on the table whilst undergoing treatment. I had not thought of that. Do you have many sessions to undergo?

I hope it goes well for you.

Rob x

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@Shands

I am so sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time but totally sympathise with the difficulties of lying still for scans and treatment as I have rheumatoid arthritis - have been having immune suppressant treatment for years but now trying to reverse this with immunotherapy! Life is full of contradictions sometimes!!

Anyway, not a bouquet as such but here is a spring photo taken last May at Exbury Gardens near Beaulieu in the New Forest - it is so beautiful there with all the rhododendrons and azaleas, as well as bluebells and daffodils flowering too. Spring is coming and I hope it brings you better times.

Love

Michele x

• ShandsShands Posts: 19 ✭✭

Thank you so much for such kind words and beautiful photo. It is good to speak to people who truly understand. Xx

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@Shands

Any time! Look after yourself. Xx