Home Back Pain Expert Q&A Hub Managing day-to-day life with back pain

Taking time off work

I think I need to take some time off work. I'm working from home and sitting at my desk for 9 hours a day really worsens my condition ( I have sciatica ). I'm not sure if back pain is a valid reason to ask for time off though? How do I talk to my boss about this? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @Shreya Kalyanasundaram, thank you for your thoughtful question. I understand your concerns about taking time off work, but personally I do believe back pain, even if "invisible" to others, can indeed be a valid reason to do so. My uncle is living with chronic back & neck pain and he had to ask for one as well after not being able to perform his job.

I think it's important to remember that even though you're working from home, you are still entitled to take time off, especially if you're feeling unwell. Try to be as honest as possible and talk to your supervisor / HR about what you're going through. Be really transparent and explain clearly how WFH affected your condition; I'm sure they will understand and give the support you need.

In the meantime, I wanted to share the following resources with you to look at:

(insert articles here once published)

I hope this helps a little.

Take care, Blanka

• Lisa BLisa B Posts: 5

Hello! Yes please do talk to your supervisor as soon as you can, it took me months of pain to get to the point of actually having the courage to speak up and it was so much easier than expected! Good luck :)